Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Okay I am kind of disappointed. I just had by three centramatic balancers arrive at the house today from Wingstuff and guess what. There was no installtion instructions in the box. Does anyone have a copy or know where I can get the instructions on how to put these on the GL_1800 and the torque specs for the bolts.

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

Hopefully someone will be along soon to help.

I would contact Wingstuff and they surely should be able to e-mail you the directions.:waving:

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
imported post

G'day nvrpc, if you go to www.centramatic.comand use the contact there, they might be able to help.

I have a set on my 1800 and I love the ride and tyre wear, much improved over not having them.

Phil

·
Banned
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

I hope wingstuff sends me the installtion instructions soon. I'd like to get these on this weekend.

·
Registered
297 Posts
imported post

Here ya go.

I reused the rotor bolts on my bike.

Be real careful torquing the rotor bolts, the instruction say 15 ft-lbs. That felt like too much to me, I stopped at about 13 ft-lbs.

Centramatic Instructions

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
imported post

the rear is the easiest, take off wheel put on centrematic, reinstall wheel.

the front: take off wheel, unbolt rotors, put centramatics between rotor and wheel and rebolt rotors.

I used the same bolts and used 3M 242 thread locker and torqued to specs 15 ft lbs. i would recommend using a inch lbs torque wrench since torque wrenchs are not accurate at the low and high ends of its scale

The centrematics I like. the problemsthat come with them , i could do without.

my issue is I bought new E-3 and after install I had a wobble at 35-45mph I bought centrematics thinking it was a balance problem because I did not want the stick on weights and the clip on weight was not eaxtly where it needed to be because of wheel design. the wobble was still there. So I checked the tire and it looks to me like the carcus is twisted, so I take it back to tire installer and they say Dunlop does not recongize that type of balance system and the wheel was 1/4 oz out of balance and if I wanted it balanced I would have to pay for it.

so basically dunlop will do nothing even though I feel it is a tire problem because it is not balanced to their specs.

As far as the 1/4 oz , centrematics say the balancer does not spin fast enough to generate the inertia needed.

at 75mph the bike is smooth as silk

·
Banned
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Got up at 3:30AM this morning to install the centramatics before it got hot. It's now 4:39 AM and they are installed, tools put away and cleaned up. We are ready to try them at sunrise. Thanks for all your help. It wasn't that hard as long as you had the tools.

·
Banned
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Absolutely. I work better in cool weather than a 100 degree non-insulated garage. Plus I need to get the front and back grass cut which is now done at 8:22 AM. Soon the double latte will wear off and I'll crash but I do have a big event at 10:00 AM so I have to keep going.

Okay I have another question for those of you that have these centermatics on their motorcycle. I've experinced an issue that make be from a result of already have cupped tires. At 70 MPH or going down the road shes a smoth as glass but as I was slowing down and coming to a stop sign I noticed front end wobble so I tried it with my hands off the handle gars and it was worse. Is this normal with these or is it cupped tires.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,205 Posts
imported post

Below about 40 mph, those CentraMatic brand tire balancers are NOT working.

The wheel RPM is below the point where the weights can work effectively.

At cruising speed they will work fine, at dawdling speeds they don't work.

Same goes for DynaBeads or liquids, etc... They all work on centrifugal force. Speed too slow to sling that stuff out to the rims, sorry charlie.

·
Banned
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

Okay, thanks. They definately make a difference at crusing speeds. Like them a lot. No regrets of buying them or installing them.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Odd ain't it, my 1500 and now my 1800 runs smooth as silk from low speed to over 100mph with statically hand balanced tires. With new tires neither bike had the 35mph wobble, when the front tire accumulated around 7000miles or so the wobble came back. This occured with both the bias ply tires on the 1500 and the radials on the 1800. The point is that I don't see how Dyna Beads or the Centramatic systems can do much more than that. Call me suspicious but they all sound a bit like snake oil to me.

·
Banned
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

Well did the wobble get better over time with the centramatics installed or worse. Were the tires cupped before you put the balancers on? If so did the tire begin to wear better with time and the cupping go away? I need to know this since I have wobble under 30 MPH and my tires are cupped pretty bad to the point where when I'd go around a corner leaning I can hear that nasty whaa, whaa, whaa sound wether I go left or right. The only time it got better was when I was following a much better rider that I am around tight turns very fast of course using counter steering to the max. I guess I took off some of those chicken strips as he called them wherebysome of thecupping went away.We didn't get it all.

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
imported post

nvrpc wrote:
Well did the wobble get better over time with the centramatics installed or worse. Were the tires cupped before you put the balancers on? If so did the tire begin to wear better with time and the cupping go away? I need to know this since I have wobble under 30 MPH and my tires are cupped pretty bad to the point where when I'd go around a corner leaning I can hear that nasty whaa, whaa, whaa sound wether I go left or right. The only time it got better was when I was following a much better rider that I am around tight turns very fast of course using counter steering to the max. I guess I took off some of those chicken strips as he called them wherebysome of thecupping went away.We didn't get it all.
the "whaa whaa" sound is not cupping according to centrematics. they call that feathering and centrematics will not do anything to help. it happens because of tire flex while cornering. tire air pressure will reduce it somewhat and different brand tires with different construction can make a difference, but you usually give up corning grip

·
Banned
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
imported post

I was set on Conti Motions, but after reading the reviews I have second thoughts,

that is a good price on the E-3's I am on my second set and I am not impressed. all of the reviews that I have read are true. handle good, good wet traction, noisy and alot of whaa whaa after 5000mi

·
Banned
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
imported post

I dn't hear a lot of people chiming in on what tire to buy for the GL-1800 that doesn't have any problems. maybe it doesn't matter. Maybe all the tires go south after 5000 miles. Maybe it's a crap shoot. I hope someone ove the last ten years has found a tire that works.

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
imported post

I've had good luck with Bridgestones. They do go donut shaped after about 6000 miles, but I still get more life out of them.

FWIW I don't think Dyna Beads can cause the problems you described, it just doesn't seem possible. I would be having that tire taken off and replaced.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.