Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Anyone tell me how much work is involved in repairing/welding the centre stand mount/bracket on an 1100 aspencade ? (please god not too much I hope)

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
imported post

Long winded, but here is my experience. It's a pain, but the rewards are endless. I recently replaced mine, however I lucked out and located a frame that was used as a doner front end for a V-8 trike (God help him). I removed the bags and hardware, dropped the exhaust system and pulled the brake lever and spring, pegs, etc.... . I had intended to remove the fuel tank for better access, but I realized the swing arm still impeded access to the top of the cross member so I did not do it. I removed the collapsed section with a cut off wheel, it seems as though the damage occurred closer to the centerstand lug than the frame rails, so the section of the crossmember closest to the frame was still fairly round. After removing the doner with the cutoff wheel, I trimmed the crosmember to fit as snuggly as possible (make lots of reference marks as to the angle of a known good centerstand when deployed if possible)and beveled the ends before setting it into place and welding with a wire feed welder. I completed the entire process in about five hours not including the time to strip the bags (amazing at how easy it is to get distracted cleaning stuff you havn't seen in a while), but I did have the benifit of having a A frame at work on which to raise the back of the bike for better access. I hauled the bike to work on a trailer and performed the entire operation with the bike on the trailer, still tied down at the front. I think that if you can't find an acceptable used crossmember, that tubing of the proper diameter would work, although removing, cleaning and fitting the stand lug section to the new tubing would take some time, not knowing your personal mechanical abilities allow me to say it is possible, not all THAT difficult, but be patient and try to think ahead. Hope it helps, take care.

·
Premium Member
2,970 Posts
imported post

What exactly is broken. Mine came apart at the center tube. I was about to have it welded until i purchased one.
The only part about the weld at that location is metal distortion. 2 spot welds should be fine, but welding straight accross on fron and back may shape the metal and make it difficult to put back on the center tube/pivot pin.

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Could you give us a more thorough description of what exactly has broken Ozzy?

And if possible, can you crawl around on the floor and take some pictures of the bit that needs repair?

From what you have said, it so far sounds like someone good with a welder can fix it and then you can just grind down any interfering high spots and re paint and with some lubrication you should be good to go again. :)

·
Premium Member
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

hadn't thought about the remove/ replace route, thanks.

silly question how close a match is a '78 1000 frame to an '83 1100, cos a friend is stripping a 1000 with a duff frame.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.