Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
It looks like I am about to pull the trigger on this deal. It is an opportunity to get a very nice GoldWing for what I consider a small investment.

I negotiated with a local repair shop to have the following work done
2 new tires - Dunlop E is what I believe they are.
Fuel system cleaned out which includes both carbs and a new jet kit in each if needed.
Both timing belts replaced.
All fluids replaced including oil.
oil filter
air filter

The service shop also said that they would initially do a full diagnostic on the bike before any extensive work is done, to make sure there are no major engine issues.

My total investment including price of bike, labor and parts will be $3000. This will get me a very nice looking 98 Goldwing with 39K miles and a lot of life left.

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
Buy it and change all liquids and drain carbs before firing up. Then fresh gas and filters and see if she starts-put seafoam in the gas tank. Be careful not to back carb screws too far-I made that mistake and it disappeared. I would try this before dumping money on tires.

·
Nobody You Know
272 Posts
I went 6 years after selling my 1500, a 94SE , before I got my current 04.

First thing my wife said?

I liked the old one better!
Same thing my wife said when I traded my '88 1500 for a '13 1800! Sometimes (not often) I agree with her. The 1500 definitely had a cushier ride than the 'more sporty' 1800.

I think you will like your new purchase!

·
Administrator
57,487 Posts
I have owned two 1500s, a 94 and a 98....

both were nice rides....

then after a quiet spell, I wanted another bike, and I purposely went to the 1800 because of my infrequent riding habits, I needed to get fuel injection.

the 1800's ride is harsher to me, a lot harsher. but it has Traxxion springs front and rear....

the seat comfort is very good for me, I put Mick-O-Pegs on it, and found a new 2010 OEM seat, for me, that fixed the problems.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts