Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have a chance to buy a 1982 magna v45 , I haven't seen it but my nephew has and he said it has potential , has anyone here restored one ? I was hoping to make a winter project out of it , it is at the Kansas Nabraska line 5 hours away from me

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
imported post

I was looking at a '83 Magna V65 & decided on a "84 Shadow 750 ( Canadian model not the US 700) they are both strong as a chunk of lead. check Ebay to see what the parts supply is like, that and liking the style of the Shadow better made my decision. My winter project will be cleaning & replacing the fluids. I put close to 10,000 miles on the shadow this summer.:action::action:

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
imported post

The v-45's are great bikes. I brought one back to life a couple of years ago.Strong running bikes. Parts are available readily, and there are some good forums out there. Fun quick bikes, not long touring nessisarily.

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Sure. If you come by and help me restore it

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
imported post

My first bike was a 1983 V45 Sabre. Hondaline sport faring etc. When they brought out the st1100 wished I had waited. Those V45's were very strong motors

·
Premium Member
446 Posts
imported post

The V45s are nice bikes. I bought an 83 brand new. I have had 3 45s, one 30 (still have that one it's mywife's bike)and one 65. You have to be careful with the early V45/65s. There were cam problems on many of them because of a poor upper cylinder head lubrication design. V65s are prone to second gear problems that not too many of the 45s suffer from.

There is a very good forum for them. Hang on when you twist the throttle past 6k!

http://v4hondabbs.com/

·
Premium Member
1,175 Posts
imported post

Both the Sabers and the Magnas are great bikes and very reasonably priced. I've had 6 of them. I would love to get my hands on another V65 Sabre.

Steve

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

Laydeane
Like any project bike it has to be cheap.No matter the condition it needs to be cheap. Because there are a ton of cheap bikes out there and i dont imagine they are a very rare bike's.
Wilf

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
imported post

I rebuilt one from the ground up years ago and it is still running. I had to repair the threads on all of the cylinder bolt holes, HELI Coil.I put new rings and timing chains in it. I broke the output gear casing on it when I put it back on, got one from a cycle salvage in Wellston. ST. Louis has some cycle salvage yards. MossWing

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
imported post

If you hear any rattle in the motor it is more than likely timing chains.

·
Premium Member
63,038 Posts
imported post

I had a 86.. When I started back ride I want to see if I still had it.. Great bike, very fast and smooth... They're a little small if your a big guy................

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

what would be a good price for a v45 that has been parked in a shedfor three years and has 27 k on the odometer ? is $700.00 to much ?

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

I'm thinking thats a little high. Being in a shead for 3 yrs is bad news. low mileage is a give and take.high mileage and well maitained is better than a bike sitting foe all thise yrs. i assume it is not running now and needs tires and battery minimum.
I'd go no more than 500 if it has nice body and seat otherwize 250
wilf

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
imported post

I`ve got an 85 VF700 Magna ...I love the thing...can you say true power cruiser .
I pid 1800 for mine 2 years ago and have done nothing but cange the oil and ride the thing .
the wing is great for my rideing with the wife 2 up .
but the magna ....well its a whole nother world ...one I enjoy .

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

thanks to everyone for the great replies, I went to look at the v45 and took my straps with me and my wife said your not going to look your going to buy it and she was right we brought it home , I found out that the last time it had the oil changed was in 1996 when it had 12 k on it and he rode it another 2k and put it in a trailer where it has been for years. everything on it was stuck in place so far i have cleaned the carbs and replaced the fuel pump , fuel filter , and all fuel lines it started and I drove up and down the road in front of the house for 15 minutes and I fell in love with this bike . I put it back on the lift and started fixing everything on it . looks like I will be with it most of the winter it needs a lot of cleaning . brakes , fork seals ,seat , etc . I bought a 84 vt 700 for parts ,if anybody needs anything off a vt 700 let me know. Thanks again to everyone

·
Premium Member
479 Posts
imported post

I've got 2 V4's and they are great, go to [email protected], and join - A great group, much like this forum- it's an email list, great events too.
Put radial tires on and it will handle better. V4 power is awesome.
I've got antique tags on both of mine & it blows the mind of the crotch rocket riders I pass on the Dragon. And those V4's run forever if maintained- after all it's a Honda.
Knew a guy that put Nitrous on his and he used it all the time and it ran over 125k- then he sold it- still ran strong.
The Sabmag group has lots of knowledge and can help you do your own work on it too. as with older Wings no dealer wants to work on cycles over 10 years old.

·
Premium Member
2,076 Posts
imported post

Igot a free one a few months back was going to turn it into a bobber but on the way home i stopped for gas and made 500 bucks and it had no title

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
imported post

I've been seeing some V-65's on C/L for cheap lately in my neighborhood.

A V-65 is a great bike if there are no head and/or 2nd gear issues. Many of those early bikes got hammered pretty hard.

Here are a some Magna listings from just the lastfew days:

$850-http://siouxfalls.craigslist.org/mcy/2675551332.html

$1300- http://siouxfalls.craigslist.org/mcy/2635268713.html

Best bang-for-the-buck ever on two wheels.

If given a choice between a 45 and a 65, ...well, ...do I even need to say it? :D

·
Premium Member
1,027 Posts
imported post

CaptainMidnight85 wrote:
I've been seeing some V-65's on C/L for cheap lately in my neighborhood.

A V-65 is a great bike if there are no head and/or 2nd gear issues. Many of those early bikes got hammered pretty hard.

Here are a some Magna listings from just the last few days:

$850- http://siouxfalls.craigslist.org/mcy/2675551332.html

$1300- http://siouxfalls.craigslist.org/mcy/2635268713.html

Best bang-for-the-buck ever on two wheels.

If given a choice between a 45 and a 65, ...well, ...do I even need to say it? :D
Those are good prices. I sold an '83 V-65 last year for $2300. They are a great ride if you can find one not beaten too badly.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.