Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have seen this topic before but never decided to read because ( I dont have that problem)

Heres the situation. I cleaned the carbs last year and couldnt register the bike. I let her sit for 3 months before trying to jump with a car battery just so I could move it elsewhere.

Today 7 months later I drain the oil and was supprised when my usual oil collector started overflowing.:shock:It smelled of gas and was realy thin. The petcock was left on open but it is the aspy with no res position on the petcock and electronic fuel pump.

After draining and installing fresh oil and filter I changed my timing belts and noticed that the left side was one tooth off.

could this one tooth off be the reason fuel kept draining into the crankcase.?

I also have used jumper cables to give me power as I replaced my radio. Does this fuel pump prime while the switch is on. If so I may have flooded the cylinders with fuel and cranking her before may have forced fuel through the oil rings.

·
Administrator
26,562 Posts
imported post

No, the belt being off a tooth has nothing to do with the fuel system. If the fuel level was above the level of the carbs it can gravity feed and if a needle valve is not sealing off or the plenum gasket is leaking to the inside it will just keep on running and if an intake valve is open, into the cylinder it goes. The fuel pump should only run about 2 seconds after turning the key on but will do it every time the key is turned off and on. A good way to prime the fuel system without cranking the engine is turning the key on and off several times.

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
imported post

If the floats are hanging up, and the fuel pump kicks on to fill the carbs, then I guess they would flood over and dribble gas into the crankcase.might need to give each carb a few light taps to unstick them.,,

·
Premium Member
2,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Bingo. The cars were really gunked up when I opened them up last year. I freed the float valves as they were stuck in position from the varnish. I will try some seafoam for a few hundred miles before I decide to do a complete rebuild.

As for the fuel pump issue. I was jumping the bike with jumper cables from my van in order to check my radio/ light/ and solenoid wires. I guess I primed the hell out of the engine every time I connected and disconected the jumper cables.

Out for a quick 10 min Ride today without insurance and registration just to clear the smoke. Alot of stamering at 2k but my 1100 had the same thing that cleared up with 300 mile and seafomam.
thanks for the responses.
Jose

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I agree the only way your crankcase oil can be gas diluted would be a leaking carb float. You can run that way if you're careful to shut off the fuel at the petcock as soon as you stop the engine and don't open it until you have the engine started. The problem with gas in the oil is the diluted oil losesmost of it's lubricating ability which will cause bearing and ring damagewhen the engine is run with thinned oil.

·
Premium Member
2,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Thanks I will keep a close eye on it as I have to change the oil very soon again anyway. There was residual oil gas mix not cleared from the crankcase. I just dukmped the mix off at a service station an dthen kicked my self in the ass because I still have an old mower which uses oil gas mix.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.