Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Bob Cassel
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Okay, here's the thing: Bike has about 40,000 miles on it and I figured it needed new timing belts. So, I opened her up, put them on and re-assembled. The bike ran well, but not just right. I put about 120 miles on it and then a coolant leak showed up.

So, I pulled the radiator to have it fixed and figured: Let's just look at the belts to make sure every thing is buttoned up right. The left side was one cog off. I can understand how I did that, the center crank pulley moved after I put on the right side one and the left one came up one cog off. So I made sure the T-1 was lined up, adjusted the belts, cogs, crank, etc. Made sure the notches in the cog wheels matched those on the case..... Buttoned her up and she ran better. Better acceleration, smoother, etc.

When I put her back together, I went to Mobil 1 Synthetic oil (10W-30)

So, I check the fuel every time I fill up. I'm consistently getting 38 +/- mpg. I used to get 40.

The only other "tell" I'm getting is an occasional "lap" sound from the front of the engine while at idle.

Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

for 2 miles you lose to a gallon, i believe it may have something to do with the riding style, wind, air on the wheels, slightly dragging brakes or is just the fuel.

·
Premium Member
3,312 Posts
imported post

Are you sure you got the belt tensioners adjusted properly? If this is a new sound after you changed the belts, that would be a good place to start looking. You just let the tensioners snug the belt up by the spring on it. Should be about 1/2 inch total of movement up and down after adjustment.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,580 Posts
imported post

Those tensioner springs are pretty old. Maybe just a little extra push will be needed to put the correct tension on the belts.

However, I don't think that is the reason for your mpg drop.

·
Premium Member
3,312 Posts
imported post

Bike...and Dennis wrote:
Those tensioner springs are pretty old. Maybe just a little extra push will be needed to put the correct tension on the belts.

However, I don't think that is the reason for your mpg drop.
Me either. I was addressing the noise issue (what he called a "lap" sound). I would ride it some more and keep careful track of the mileage and fuel used and be sure that the mileage has actually dropped. It doesn't take much gas to make 2 mpg difference when the tank only holds around 5 gallons or so.

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
imported post

My mileage runs 38 to almost 41 mpg. Rode 2 up pulling trailer a few weeks ago got 40.8 mpg. on one tank. Rode bike with just me and no trailer to work one week (50 miles round trip) and got 38 on that tank. Riding to work had a lot of turns and stops and goes other trip was mostly highway running with few stops or turns. Have the plugs been changed or gaped lately sometimes new plugs gaped correctly can gain you 2 to 4 miles a gallon. Just my 2 cents worth. Guess I wouldn't get to excited about 2 mpg. now if it were 10 mpg that would be another thing. Happy Riding

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.