Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I recently had a mobile motorcycle mechanic change my timing belts. He took off the front radiator hose and drained the antifreeze. Changed the belts and removed the tensioners that appeared fine and re-used them. Slapped it together and now I can't seem to find antifreeze leaks. It looks like its coming from within the timing belt cover! I guess there is 3 long bolts and 8 short bolts that holds the cover on..If he put the bolts in the wrong holes or did not use anti seize on the timming cover bolts....could that cause a leak inside the timing belt cover??????

Thanks for the feedback.!:waving:

·
Administrator
26,180 Posts
imported post

It's probably from the upper radiator hose draining down into the timing covers then out the bottom. I had this happen once. There are 4 bolts holding the covers on and none of them go into the cooling system. It would have been a good idea to change the hoses when the radiator was out.

·
Premium Member
5,381 Posts
imported post

As I read it the mech only took off one hose probably because it's a tight fit to do the job without moving the rad. I did mine without touching the cooling system. As Davogd says there's nothing in the belt covers to leak antifreeze.

Two thoughts. Something got moved or something got punctured. Also, anytime I take off an inexpensive part I replace it if I am in any way unsure of its history. It's the easiest time to do it.

Hopefully it's a loose clamp.

·
Premium Member
61,449 Posts
imported post

When he took off the lower hose connection he still had to push the hose way to the side to clear the front case.. Is it possible he could have pulled the upper connection lose or maybe cracked it??

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Thanks for the replies. He took the front "Y" hose completely off. No obvious hose is leaking. Drove it around today and got it hot and now it's not leaking......It either found it's own level of fluid capacity or something swelled up to seal. It looks moist around the thermostat housing, but hard to see in there even with both fans removed. It might start leaking again after it cools back off. I'll keep ya posted.:waving:

·
Administrator
26,180 Posts
imported post

I guess I made an oops, it was early in the morning when I saw this and somehow thought it was an 1100. Still it is probably something that was disturbed or just coincidence.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.