Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Nope, not getting into what oil to use. Not even going to ask about filters.

It's finally time to change the oil and filter on my 1500, PO had done that right before I picked it up. Book says there is a special tool needed for removal. Without pulling the plastic off and inspecting it can anyone tell me what special tool is needed? I assume it is one you can purchase?

Thanks in advance.

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

this is the tool but if you have a oil filter rench strap type that will go down small enough this should do also

·
Premium Member
2,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Great, thanks to both of you for the answer. I do have several strap wrenchs so should be able to take care of it.

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

The one pictured is the one I use and carry in the bike tool kit.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

agnogel wrote:
this is the tool but if you have a oil filter rench strap type that will go down small enough this should do also
That wrench is good for OEM filters and maybe the odd other one, but it won't fit on a Fram oil filter. :waving:I only use the OEM filters on mine now.

A small adjustable steel/rubber strap wrench works well for those that the above wrench doesn't fit.

I loosen 2 of the lower cowling screws and pull the cowling ahead a bit, to make it easier to remove/install the filter.

Dusty

·
Premium Member
61,413 Posts
imported post

While you're there, the washer on the nut at the oil pan is good for about 2 changes and then should be replaced.. Keeps you from getting that annoying little drip......

·
Premium Member
2,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Foodman wrote:
While you're there, the washer on the nut at the oil pan is good for about 2 changes and then should be replaced.. Keeps you from getting that annoying little drip......
Thanks for the advice, think I'll go ahead and change it out.

·
Probationary
4,535 Posts
imported post

My manual told me to remove front cowling on my last 2 bikes to change oil filter.

Fortunately, I looked first, & saw I could very easily just remove the old filter with a small strap wrench, without loosening anything & screwing a new one on.

Thenthe air filter. The manuals tell me to do a dozen things that are completely unnecessary....& it's an easy 20 min job. Also, change the fuel filter [$3] while the cover is off for the air filter change.

Manuals are a good guide, but try common sense along with it. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.