Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have gotten several P.M messages about how to change the rear tire on the 1800 with trailer hitches in the way, the amp box and all that kind of thing. Do I have to have a lift or a jack and all that.

The answer is no. Here is a photo of my last rear tire change. I have a fancy lift and all that kind of thing, but to change a rear tire this takes all of ten minutes and you can be done before you can get the bike up on the lift and strapped down. Very easy way and no harm will come to the bike.

You simply lay a blanket in your front yard, and walk the bike down on the right side(I break the torque on the lug nuts on the wheel first) Loosen or remove some highway pegs, I have the Micks so I just take the one outside foot rest off and lay it on the blanket. Now pull the center stand out and maybe put a brick under it, this kicks the wheel up so you can get the tire in and out. Change the tire, torque the lugs to 80 ft pounds and walk the bike back up. Quick easy and simple.

Kit

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
imported post

good pic showing access to the rear tire Kit, but it just doesn't seem right to lay that beauty down like that.

·
Guru
3,074 Posts
imported post

Does it smoke like a 72 pinto when you re start???
Good to have you back buddy!
wayne.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

hatchetman wrote:
Does it smoke like a 72 pinto when you re start???
Good to have you back buddy!
wayne.
Hi Wayne,

No not like pinto, more like a diesel smoke stack. :)

Actually does not hurt the bikes at all. Not that I am aware of in any event.

Kit

·
Administrator
25,741 Posts
imported post

Yep, did that with mine once. Didn't know the trick about the center stand then and the car tire was a struggle but I got it done.

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

Here is a video using the same procedure that Kit describes.

[flash=425,344]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUcGe-EcBy8[/flash]

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
imported post

HEY KIT GREAT TO HAVE YOU BACK, BY THE WAY WHAT TIRE ARE YOU RUNING ON THE FRONT?

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

A round one. :D

It is the stone 709. I nor anyone I know have ever found a tire for the 1800 that can exceed the performance of the Stone tires on the 1800. A great many others have been tried, even some installed backwards, but none can beat the stone.

I went though those bias plys for the rear installed on the front for a bit, did not like any of them. They cup, they wobble, they buzz and vibrate, then someone comes along and says I have 24,000 on my battlax 45. Tis possible with 44 pounds of air and a rough ride and less surface on the road.

I do not care one bit about mileage of a tire, not at all, my goal is one that sticks to the road.

For me in all conditions it is the 709 Stone. At factory pressure of 36 psi. That one in the photo has 7 K or so on it, I think it will hit 12K at the wear bars. To me that is pretty good in mileage too. And it is wearing even, not a bit cupped. But I have messed with the anti dive too, and that makes a huge difference in both the ride and the front tire wear.

Kit

·
Premium Member
3,775 Posts
imported post

Glad to see you back posting Kit. I don't have an 18, but I sure missed your input around here... :gunhead:

·
Premium Member
1,969 Posts
imported post

Kit,

Not related to your tire thread..... How do you like your Utopia back rest? I am currently leaning towards the Utopia for me but, would like to know what someone else thought who had one.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Lil Pete wrote:
Kit,

Not related to your tire thread..... How do you like your Utopia back rest? I am currently leaning towards the Utopia for me but, would like to know what someone else thought who had one.
How long do we ever keep a thread on track ;) Never I think. Lol !

The Utopia back rest is a winner. As far as I am concerned it is the very best . There are no brackets or hardware in the way for the passenger, and it is very functional and comfortable. It has a wide range of adjustment to fit and suits anyone with a simple allen bolt used for the adjustment. (I did put thread lock on mine once I got it where I liked it so it will not self adjust) It folds forward well to allow the passenger to get on and off easy. So it gets my vote for the best of the best.

It is a bit more challenging to install, but not hard, you do have to cut the seat and run a long bread knife down through the foam to open up a channel for the brace bar to slip through. But that is easy to do, and Steve has a video on this site on how to do this.
Anyone can do it, even on a heated seat if you are careful will not be close to the heating elements or wires. They also make for it A quick release device where you can plug and un plug it , use it or not.

It is a very good and functional backrest and worth its weight in gold on a long run. I kinda slouch down lean back, scoot forward , put my feet on the Mics and it really does help on those long runs.

Main thing is it has no brackets or mounting system that pushes on the passengers legs and becomes an undesirable situation like the others do.

Kit

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.