Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum mcsdriver12

As to type of antifreeze to use, Honda states to use silicate free mixture as silicates will eat the waterpump bearings and seals.
You can buy gallon of Honda antifreeze at the Honda car dealers for $20. Premixed.
Quarts at Honda m/c dealer for $5-$7. Premixed.

Some use Peak antifreeze as it states it is sillacate free.
I get the full strength gallon ($12 walmart)) and mix it 50/50 with a gallon of distilled water($1)

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
imported post

After I replaced the water pump in my GL1200 (many years ago) I used the Honda product at first. However, I am currently using Zerex G-05

http://www.valvoline.com/products/brands/zerex/antifreeze/42

and have not had any problems with it. It is what I use in both my Mercedes Benz and Porsche because it is silicate free and formulated for mixed metal (aluminum/steel).

Be sure to do a thorough flush as it is a different chemistry than most of the antifreeze products and they generally are not compatible.

I know that NAPA parts stores keep it as a stock item, not sure about other stores.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

I use Maxima premixed coolant made for motorcycles I get it at a local Cycle Gear. It's not that expensive and only needs to be replaced every 2 years. I would not flush out the cooling system with anything but distilled water, unless it is already plugged up with corrosion. Hopefully not. When I first got mine, I went through a long drawn out procedure, by draining the coolant, filling with distilled water, riding it a few miles to circulate the water, then draining it and doing it all over again. I did this about 5 times until the water came out clear. Then I drained it and put the coolant in. Don't forget to remove the overflow reservoir and clean it out. Toilet bowl cleaner is good for removing any rust or scale from the plastic reservoir, but do not put it in the engine.

·
Premium Member
1985 GL1200 Limited Edition
3,529 Posts
imported post

While yer in there you might want to change the timing belts if you don't know when was the last time they were changed....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.