Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well, i saw that hela makes stainless steel lines for the 1500....and someone on this web site sells them.

Does anybody ever done the full job on a 1500??? is there any way to find an how to?? pictures? tutorials? i heard it is messy and very complicated...

thanks

·
Administrator
28,063 Posts
If you have it stripped of all plastic it helps but the rear line is still difficult.

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
The right front line is very simple. Just take off connection at the master cylinder, follow it down to the wheel cylinder and connect. The left front line runs up under the front bodywork, and connects on the right side, about where your knee would be. It is a little metal line. The shop manual will show it, but it is hard to see.

The rear is easier, just runs from the master cylinder back to the wheel cylinder, as I recall. But that left front will take some time. Good luck. It's not a terribly difficult job, but the first time I looked for the connection, I couldn't find it.

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
The rear is easier, just runs from the master cylinder back to the wheel cylinder, as I recall. But that left front will take some time. Good luck. It's not a terribly difficult job, but the first time I looked for the connection, I couldn't find it.
Guess it depends on who made the lines. I agree a single line running from the master to wheel cylinder it much simpler, but I was given a rear line that goes from the wheel cylinder to the junction in front of the swingarm. I gave up trying to get to the junction, and will have a line made for the simpler route.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
Guess it depends on who made the lines. I agree a single line running from the master to wheel cylinder it much simpler, but I was given a rear line that goes from the wheel cylinder to the junction in front of the swingarm. I gave up trying to get to the junction, and will have a line made for the simpler route.
The stock line has 2 flex lines to the rear caliper with a metal line in between and starts off the master with a metal line. Get a stainless steel made to replace all 4 pieces, then there are no joints to have leaks at and only 2 fittings(that is where they charge you is fittings, the lines are usually cheaper than fittings).

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
I bought my stainless steel lines from Venco in New Hampshire, and had Jim Venne install them. I watched him do the job, and was very glad I didn't try to do it myself. The difference in the brakes is remarkable, and well worth the money.

·
Premium Member
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I bought my stainless steel lines from Venco in New Hampshire, and had Jim Venne install them. I watched him do the job, and was very glad I didn't try to do it myself. The difference in the brakes is remarkable, and well worth the money.

is it a 1500? did he used one single line or e replaced all the flexi lines as per stock ?

·
Premium Member
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The stock line has 2 flex lines to the rear caliper with a metal line in between and starts off the master with a metal line. Get a stainless steel made to replace all 4 pieces, then there are no joints to have leaks at and only 2 fittings(that is where they charge you is fittings, the lines are usually cheaper than fittings).
All you mentioned makes sense, but usually...if Honda does something in a certain way, there is always a good reason why...and this is what does not come up to my mind.

Further more...: why do they devided the rear 4 pieces? why the need to use the metal lines as in a car?? i do not get it! but there must be a valid reason why!??

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
There is 1st flex as the master is attached to main frame, and 2nd metal is attached to the swingarm, 2nd flex is to the caliper to facilitate servicing the caliper easier than hard line into the caliper. I cannot answer why Honda engineering did it that way. A single stainless steel hose line will work great.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
...A single stainless steel hose line will work great.
+1... that's what I did, simply made a single length of SS Hose (for both front and rear lines, and the clutch too). The whole set (4 lines total) cost $90 at a local shop, much less than anything else I found off-the-shelf.

The only difficulty in installing the lines is Removing Everything in the way... for example, for the front lines, you need to remove the carb in order to easily remove the stock lines and restrain the new ones to the frame.

·
Premium Member
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
There is 1st flex as the master is attached to main frame, and 2nd metal is attached to the swingarm, 2nd flex is to the caliper to facilitate servicing the caliper easier than hard line into the caliper. I cannot answer why Honda engineering did it that way. A single stainless steel hose line will work great.
Thanks for your always prompt answer.

only question at this point is: is it that difficult because of reconeccting all these parts? because at this point using a single line i can take off all of these metal lines correct? and fix them somehow?

·
Premium Member
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Would you be so kind to describe in which way this improvement makes it so remarkable please?

thanks!

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Would you be so kind to describe in which way this improvement makes it so remarkable please?...
SS Lines are always the First upgrade I make on any new bike... The benefit of them is that they improve the stopping power of your brakes, by virtue of better-transmitting the brake fluid to the calipers; and also they replace the stock rubber lines which are only designed to last a few years.

As rubber lines age, they begin to inflate like a balloon, thereby loosing some of their ability to move pressurized fluid to the caliper. Look at the Date Stamp printed on the brake lines... They do that to notify you that they are supposed to be replaced after just Two Years! (not that anyone does that of course). Side-note: I just pulled a set of rubber lines of my 1987 F350 Pickup, that worked yet which are falling apart in my hands... the rubber got so hard that it started cracking apart... probably not a good thing to be relying on!

Another advantage of a single-length of SS-line (vs the stock multi-piece line) is that there are Fewer Joints with which to allow air into the brake lines... A single-length-line will virtually never require bleeding, unlike the stock ones.

All-that-said, putting SS-lines on your 1500 will not make a huge improvement... The brakes are crummy to begin with, and will remain so regardless of what you do. They will become slightly stronger and quicker, but it's not a magic wand.

·
Administrator
28,063 Posts
why the need to use the metal lines as in a car?? i do not get it! but there must be a valid reason why!??[/QUOTE]

If they made the rear line a one piece rubber line it would probably have never had any rear brake even when new. There is always some expansion of rubber lines so the shorter the better.

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
Would you be so kind to describe in which way this improvement makes it so remarkable please?

thanks!
I was never happy with the slightly spongy feel of the brakes on this bike. The SS lines eliminated the sponginess--brake lever/pedal is now much firmer, but not so much so that you can't easily modulate the brakes. It was a worthwhile improvement, IMHO.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.