Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 60 of 181 Posts

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
imported post

I believe that long one goes on the extreme left side, but it's easy enough to check. Just put them back in place and see if there's a gap under the bolt head when you gently tighten it.

To separate the covers you may need to smack them with a rubber hammer or use a hook at the bolt holes to pry them off and the last recourse is to gently push a screwdriver into the gap between the iner and outer covers at the bottom of the coverand gently pry the covers off. Hopefully you won't damage the gasket but if you do you can always touch it up with RTV silicone. This is not a high pressure gasket it just basically keeps out dust and water.

Vic

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
imported post

hi vic, this might be added to the "how to" for the goldwing owners. on the bottom

of the covers there are slots that you easily access to gently pry out the covers.

the bolt belongs on the extreme left side [drivers] facing forward i pulled the covers

and the belts

are very loose approx 1 inch of play [no good] i think what happens is 1 side is tight

when the firing time is reached [in phase] and the other loose until you come around

180deg to fire the other that is why you tighten left and right at different engine

times i.e. valves high valves low. so when i get my new ordered belts will replace

again thanks for your time and help..

scot

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
imported post

hi, sometimes the timing covers can be very stubborn to remove, but on the bottom

of each

there is a slot and gentle tapping with a rubber mallet and voila off they come. no

pain.

thx scot.

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
imported post

hi vic, replaced my belts the other day. on the tension. i made them both about 1/8 in
[left right] order. spun the engine by hand 12 or more times [coward] no
hitting of metal fired her up and voila zoom zoom.. had to re-adjust the the idle since
it needed more gas when cold. so do you think 1/8 inch up and down is too tight for
the belt tension??

thx scot

·
Premium Member
305 Posts
imported post

It should be about the same, but toss out the part numbers that Octane gave. The 1200 uses different belts, posibly different idler pully's, but Mother Honda should have the right part numbers.

Might I ask, where is the bolt that shows the timing marks in the engine? I'm slowly stripping my wing down to find all the good stuff. I guess all I have to do is find the hole, find the parts, and find my head and this job is done!

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
imported post

Thanks a Million!!!!! This is exactly what I need . Will be tackling GL 1100 belts pretty soon. I,m %100 sureI can do this now. I,m pretty sure I would of overtightened them or not made them the same on both sides. Happy Holidays Dieseltu.

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

JUST a bump for the guy doing his timimg belts.

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

Another question. Should the gasket on the timing belt covers be replaced? Or, can you just seal it up with some type of sealer if it needs it?

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

I cleaned mine with soap and water and then laid a bead of silicone seal in the trough just before pressing the rubber back in place to hold it.

Then I put a thin film of silicone lubricant on the rubber facing out.

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
imported post

I just did the 83 belts this weekend read through the forum. This is a great place to be..lots of stuff I would never have thought of.

If only we'd get some warm weather here in Massachusetts....

Thanks

Glenn

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

oops

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
imported post

Where have the images in this thread gone? Nevermind, after a refresh they showed up dadgum computers. :)

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
imported post

My belts are done. Thank you, thank you ,thank you. On to bigger and better things. Gas tank, rear shocks, trailer hitch.

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
imported post

My belts are done too. And the beer really tastes good since all the marks finally lined up, and all the tensions look good. Now if this beer will calm my nerves. Tommorrow, I put the cover back on and start looking for a local radiator shop to test the radiator while she is off. Then I'll wait impatiently for the brake pads, fork seals and new tires to arrive.

Great thread and pictures, kudos, kudos, kudos.

41 - 60 of 181 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.