Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
121 - 140 of 181 Posts

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
imported post

It is not that bad removing the radiator and with it out of the way you have room to work and see what you are doing.

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
imported post

Well, I have started the job. I have the radiator moved out and the timing belt covers removed, Oil is drained as well as the coolant. I'll try to finish it up this evening or over the weekend. Its supposed to snow here so I cant ride anyways. One question at this point. Where are the 4 bolts that I need to remove to remove the fake gas tank/ top cover? I will need to do this to get to the radiator cap to refill with coolant.

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
imported post

Yes, I have looked and all they say is "remove the 4 bolts and remove the top cover" I have looked and don't see them.

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
imported post

Well, She is all back together now. Fired right up and rearin' to GO.
New belts, pulleys, Spark plugs. Also Fresh Honda oil and filter and a fresh change of coolant. I put a new "O" ring on the coolant cap flange too, it looked like it was seeping just a bit.
She should be ready for a few more miles!

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
imported post

thanks for this post. got mine done 600 miles no problems great job:action::waving:

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
imported post

thanks for such a complete guide. this is the first service i've performed on my newfound GL1000 and it really helped.

unfortunately, i still must have gotten something wrong because after letting the bike idle for a few minutes with the new belts on, i started seeing smoke come out of the timing belt case =( i'm guessing i managed to over-tension the belts, or didn't sufficiently rinse the wd-40 or (non-acid) rust remover i had used to clean things up down there (the previous owner had ridden the bike with the covers off). i'll have to investigate later.

i read here:
http://www.randakks.com/TechTip40.htm
that the engine should be warmed before final tensioning. i haven't seen it mentioned in any of the manuals, but it seems plausible. do any of you do that? for folks who take the radiator off, do you take it off again to do the final tensioning? or do something crazy like leave it off while warming the engine?

mack45 - did you get that tool? if so how's it work for you?

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
imported post

Just did mine also, I had smoke on startup but it was from oil on the exhaust and engine (bike had sat) and cleared quickly. Since the springs tension the belts I didn't worry about overtensioning. I did timing belts on a couple 4-cylinder Diesel motors before the Wing and they had tension springs too.

Are you sure the smoke was from the belts themselves?

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
imported post

Are there 1 or 2 gaskets on a '81 1100? I am ordering my parts now but all my reference materials are at home.

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
imported post

GL Mobi, No , I didnt get the tool, I was able to move the radiator out far enough to get the covers off.

PLPen, If you are talking about the timing cover gaskets , there are two.

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
imported post

i don't know if it was the belts, but i definitely managed to get smoke coming out of the belt case (through the little vents on at the bottom of the covers). the bike does smoke a little bit from the exhaust already, but not long or bad. it'd only been sitting about two weeks, on its centerstand, since i last rode it. the smoke from the belt case didn't start until it had been running for a few minutes. it smelled abnormal, more like burning plastic than burning oil. i fear that maybe by removing the timing pulleys to clean them, I've somehow gotten them off kilter, and the belts are slipping and/or rubbing...

i bought the bike with the covers off, and when i tried to put them on there was no way i could get the inside bolts on just by pulling the radiator forward. i ended up only using the outside bolts for a bit. thinking back i probably tried to put the covers on, then the inside bolts in. it would probably be more feasible to put the bolts in the cover first and then slide it between the radiator and engine.

just gotta find the time to open it back up and hopefully it will be obvious. thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
imported post

did you check tensioners, deflection of belts? if tensioners not free could burn belt. does it smell like rubber?:waving::action:

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
imported post

Great Write-Up... Just did mine..
Not sure what the torch (sp) setting is for
the tensioner bolts? I have been looking
but I must have missed it.
Thanks,
Jeff

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
imported post

I did belts at 25,000 miles.....98 1500 se......................51,000 now..............time again ? or when.............and I did not know there was a way to set the ignition timing ?.................these were NAPA belts................wadda ya think :?

·
Premium Member
9,790 Posts
imported post

xsxlr8r wrote:
I did belts at 25,000 miles.....98 1500 se......................51,000 now..............time again ? or when.............and I did not know there was a way to set the ignition timing ?.................these were NAPA belts................wadda ya think :?
I believe it is 60,000 miles someone corrct me if I'm wrong:action:

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
imported post

I'm digging up old news, but excellent write up! I'll be changing out my timing belts in the near future. This tutorial takes away the fear from the unknown.

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
imported post

If you are still out there.......thanks for the how to on changing belts, found your tutorial, and compared it to the book, and used it on a 1200 ltd, great pictures and explanation! Successfully changed the belts.

:dude:

Ben

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
imported post

Hello everyone,
I have about two minuets to post this, so if it seems short I hope you understand.

Found this write up very informative.
I hope this will fix my bike. (83 GL1100 I).
More later, thanks/

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
imported post

I replaced the timing belts on my gl1100 years ago and the only part that went wrong was when the durned studs that those radiator mounts onto sheared off and I had to get a buddy to weld on new ones.

121 - 140 of 181 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.