Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Merry Christmas and Happy new year to all,

Easy question. I want to change the grips on my 85 Gl1200. How do I get the old ones off? Is it just a matter of twisting and pulling them backwards at the same time?

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
first off pry the end caps off if they are metal capped,then take a sharp knife and slice a groove lengthwise down to the metal handlebar on the left grip,on the right grip be careful that you dont cut into the plastic sleeve that's part of the throttle mechanism
after that you can just take a larger flat bladed screwdriver and pry the grips apart and off,take all of about 3 mins to get them off,them clean up the surfaces as necessary to attach the grips with some type of cement,i just wrapped area with several layers of painters tape until they held the new grips tight once twisted on
others may chime in soon with what they used effectively to attach grips

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
first off pry the end caps off if they are metal capped,then take a sharp knife and slice a groove lengthwise down to the metal handlebar on the left grip,on the right grip be careful that you dont cut into the plastic sleeve that's part of the throttle mechanism
after that you can just take a larger flat bladed screwdriver and pry the grips apart and off,take all of about 3 mins to get them off,them clean up the surfaces as necessary to attach the grips with some type of cement,i just wrapped area with several layers of painters tape until they held the new grips tight once twisted on
others may chime in soon with what they used effectively to attach grips
After grips are removed and all is cleaned up , as described by neoracer ,I like to use HAIRSPRAY to secure the new ones in place. Just spray the bar and quickly push the new grip home. Works geat for me.....

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
The hairspray idea has been around for a long time and works well. How hard they are to get off depends on what they used to attach them and how much of it they used. And Like Neoracer stated, be careful about the plastic sleeve on the throttle side.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I stick my air nozzle in the end of the grips and push the button. Usually both fly off, but sometimes I have to do each side. Just remember to block the other side of the handle bars if you only get one off at a time. I tried the hair spray and it works good.

·
Premium Member
1,103 Posts
Have tried the hairspray and it did not work for me, if you happen to get the ISO Grips, just a word a wisdom if you use the spider glue that is sent with these grips it works well on the clutch side just for the fact that you are using it on the metal of the bar and can be slid on and adjusted where you want them, BUT when using it on the throttle side you will need to pre fit your grip and make sure you go fast and hit it right on the first try cause that stuff sets up LIKE RIGHT NOW on that plastic throttle tube (ask me how I know) :lash::lash::lash:

·
Premium Member
2000 GL1500SE
3,349 Posts
The glue that came with my new grips was hard as a rock in the tube. Totally dried out and unusable. I put a little Gorilla Glue on there to hold mine on. Been on there without a problem for over two years so far.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.