Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I'm going to attempt to change the clutch fluid on my 95 GL1500 SE. I saw the instructional video and think I can do it without any major issue. I've ready a few of the forum articles.

I see there was somediscussionsover the type of fluid. What is the preferred type offluid to put into the clutch reservoir's?

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,258 Posts
imported post

Dot-4 brake fluid. Available in many locations.

Maybe I did it wrong, but I just used a syringe to suck the old out of the reservoir, replaced it with fresh, then bled it through like a brake until clean stuff came out, refilling the reservoir as needed (about twice I think). Seems to have worked for me several times over the years.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

rpeters549 wrote:

Maybe I did it wrong, but I just used a syringe to suck the old out of the reservoir, replaced it with fresh, then bled it through like a brake until clean stuff came out, refilling the reservoir as needed (about twice I think). Seems to have worked for me several times over the years.
That's exactly right.:claps:

For the clutch Dot-3 would be good enough. The only reason for using Dot-4 is that you only have one bottle of fluid to do all three systems.

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,258 Posts
imported post

Ken Bergen wrote:
rpeters549 wrote:

That's exactly right.:claps:

For the clutch Dot-3 would be good enough. The only reason for using Dot-4 is that you only have one bottle of fluid to do all three systems.
OOh--- Make a note of that! I will show my wife!

JK- she treats me very well.

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
imported post

There are differences in DOT-3 and DOT-4. Either one will work, but if it's say dot-3 and you want to change to dot-4, make sure that you get as much of the dot-3 out as you can. From what I understand they don't mix too well. I believe that DOT-4 is what I have in my brake system and my clutch.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

pcfix_3 wrote:
There are differences in DOT-3 and DOT-4. Either one will work, but if it's say dot-3 and you want to change to dot-4, make sure that you get as much of the dot-3 out as you can. From what I understand they don't mix too well. I believe that DOT-4 is what I have in my brake system and my clutch.
Dot-3 and Dot-4 are compatible, Dot-4 just has a higher boiling point and is more suitable for high demand braking.

Dot-5 on the other hand is not compatible with Dot-3 or 4 and may destroy some rubbers in early braking systems.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,751 Posts
imported post

You can also use synthetic. Easier to find than DOT-4 and fully compatible with 3 or 4. And easier on the paint.

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,258 Posts
imported post

I have Valvoline synthetic DOT-4 in there now. Have used it for years and it is great.

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
imported post

Ken Bergen wrote:
pcfix_3 wrote:
Dot-3 and Dot-4 are compatible, Dot-4 just has a higher boiling point and is more suitable for high demand braking.

Dot-5 on the other hand is not compatible with Dot-3 or 4 and may destroy some rubbers in early braking systems.
Ok, I was just confusing the 3. lol

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

When you drain/suck the old fluid out, make sure you use a Q-tip.rag or something to remove all the gunk/dirt that will be caked to the walls/bottom of the MC. !!

I have to change mine yearly, due to amount of miles ridden and it amazes me each time I change it how much dirt/gunk haws built up in such a short time. :shock:

As mentioned, cover the area around the clutch MC with rags to prevent any brake fluidsplash/drips from coming in contact with the paint/plastic!

Dusty

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

I use DOT-3 in everything. It is completely compatible with DOT-4, and is fine for most applications. As was said, DOT-4 just has a higher boiling point, but is a LOT more expensive. If I am going to replace all the fluid in both brakes and the clutch, I get a qt bottle of DOT-3 for half the price of a 16 oz bottle of DOT-4. That is for OLDER bikes and cars, or bikes of an older design. A 1500 may actually need DOT-4

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
imported post

hi,does everybody use speed bleeders? great item. use them on all my motorcycles. i really believe that a 10 yr.old could bleed brakes with the speed bleeders. just thought i would throw this information in. hoghideman

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,258 Posts
imported post

A quart bottle of synthetic DOT-4 was well under $10.
That's a LOT of fluid...

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
imported post

what ever the manual requires pls

ive found that new fluid 2x/yr is good for me,, mine get ugly for some reason after abt 6mo,, easy enough to do.

·
Premium Member
2008 GL1800
1,372 Posts
imported post

Should an additional acronym be used here? We use RTFM but how about FTFM for follow? :smallpopcorn:

·
Best looking member
3,107 Posts
imported post

Get the smallest bottles you can get. Once you open the bottles you don't want to store them. Use what you need then throw out (sorry, dispose of in an environmentally proper manner) the left overs. Or just keep flushing until it's all gone.

·
Premium Member
1,317 Posts
imported post

JerryH wrote:
I use DOT-3 in everything. It is completely compatible with DOT-4, and is fine for most applications. As was said, DOT-4 just has a higher boiling point, but is a LOT more expensive. If I am going to replace all the fluid in both brakes and the clutch, I get a qt bottle of DOT-3 for half the price of a 16 oz bottle of DOT-4. That is for OLDER bikes and cars, or bikes of an older design. A 1500 may actually need DOT-4
There's more to it than that. I was a Jaguar mechanic years ago. DOT 3 will dissolve live rubber seals in no time at all. Dot 4 will not. European cars and bikes used live rubber well into the 90's and some aftermarket seals may still be.

DOT 5, when mixed with earlier stuff rolls up in little black balls in the reservoir. When we switched from organic to synthetic, we first flushed everything thoroughly with denatured alcohol, then replaced all rubber. If you do a good job, five years down the road it will be just as clean as when it came out of the can.

I'm told the newer synthetics mix better than the early stuff, but I would still flush it well.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.