Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in process of changing the timing belts and I'm going to replace water pump at the same time on my 1500. My question is do I have to drain engine oil prior to replacing the pump? It looks like the shaft from the water pump goes dirrectly into the engines crankcase.

·
Premium Member
2000 GL1500SE
3,357 Posts
Yes you do drain the engine oil before removing the water pump according to the service manual. The pump is driven off the oil pump shaft.

·
Senior Smart Aleck
1,599 Posts
Oooops!!! Did ya drain that oil Don? :?:?

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We got it taken care of. Thanks for the help. Got her all back together and only one small leak. A couple of turns of the screw driver to tighten a clamp a little more and we are in business.

·
Premium Member
760 Posts
Woo HOO!! All you need to do is give her a good wax job now and the rain and snow on the way to the Moonshine Run should slither right off.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had almost every piece of plastic off today. Cleaned and waxed each one as I put her back together. ;)

·
Senior Smart Aleck
1,599 Posts
Nicely done Don!! :claps::claps:
Mine looks like a bomb went off on both ends. :wtf::ROFL:

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
You coming to NC anytime soon Don...... Im ordering the water pump tonight.

The belts were changed at 70K miles per the previous owner, so they only have 50K on them. I may wait till the end of next season to change them out, Jacks got me too scared to change mine now after his little issue......

·
Senior Smart Aleck
1,599 Posts
You coming to NC anytime soon Don...... Im ordering the water pump tonight.

The belts were changed at 70K miles per the previous owner, so they only have 50K on them. I may wait till the end of next season to change them out, Jacks got me too scared to change mine now after his little issue......

Don't be skeered John. Some knucklehead liked his thread locker a little too well and the PG didn't want to come loose. Like Don if you're gonna do the pump I'd do the belts while everything outta the way.

"Ju can do it":waving:

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
John,
If your going to do the water pump you might as well do the timing belts at the same time. The hardest part about doing the belts is getting the covers on and off. Once you disconnect all the hoses for the water pump you can move all the hoses out of the way and the covers are much easier to get off and on.

Plan to do an oil change at the same time you do the water pump as well. You'll need to drain the oil before removing the water pump or you'll have a mess when you pull the pump.:readit:

I had no issue with the pulse generators. Just take one bolt out and loosen the other one and swing it out of the way long enought to get belt off and on.

Have fun it's not as bad as you think. I was leery at first but once I got started it wasn't bad at all.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.