Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I recently aquired a 1983 GL1100 Interstate. Ican barely see at night. I bought an OEM replacement bulb. I have two Questions. #1 How do I change the dang thing? (I have a faring) #2 Will this stock Honda bulb make any difference?:?

·
Premium Member
2,824 Posts
imported post

Hondaline fairing, has a black knob in front of instrument cluster, that aims the light. A allen keyed lock grub screw within the knob is removed for access to the locknut and washer holding this assembly together. Remove the grub screw, and the nut can be removed, remember that which you do, so you can assemble it,

The head light will loosen and able to be withdrawn. The light bulb inside the reflector and glass housing. Look it over and it should be obvious on removal.

Clean everything carefully and do not scratch the reflector surface.

Mount the new bulb and be gentle and wear gloves, if you do man handle the glass envelope of the bulb wash with alcohol and dry and look carefully for greasy finger prints. Do not power that bulb if dirty or wet.

Do a test with the glass off to see if the bulb works on hi and lo, if good reassemble, then put the knob back and make certain the glass is correct, and able to shift by the knob because you will adjust it in the final stage.

Cleanliness is critical. Check the condition of the receptacle, make sure it is spotless, no grease, no dielectrics, check all the wires, hot and grounds and no corrosion, no green stuff. If corroded clean with fine steel wool, a scrubby, then shine the brass up. Check the spring tensioning the bulb and the copper/solder point of contact or brass wire ware for shiny contact. Again cleanliness is critical with lights, bulbs, contacts.

When done check your alignment against a garage door or wall.

·
Premium Member
1,522 Posts
imported post

also when you have the bulb out, make sure the chrome in the headlight is not peeling or discolored. I replaced my whole headlight with a sealed silverlight bulb. works perfect.

·
Administrator
26,536 Posts
imported post

Like Wayne said, the reflector is probably the cause of the dim light, not the bulb. Like him I also put an automotive sealed beam in my 83 and the light was far better. The large round sealed beam fits right in.

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Thanks, That light was really stuck in there. I changed the bulb as per your direction and it seems brighter. Haven't got the chance to check it at night though.

·
everyday member
514 Posts
imported post

Dave0430, what brand and number of sealed beam light did you use? Will any work as long as diameter is the same and the plug matches up?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.