Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I just changed the oil and filter on my G.W..I pulled the filter cover off and the blank part (part with no fins on it) was down. I see that in the service manual, it says" install the filter cover, positioning the two cover tabs on either side of the boss on the water pump cover". This is not how I removed the cover. Installing like this would put the blank area of the cover at the top. Also, there was no washer on top of the spring, between the spring and the filter as shown in the manual.

1. Does the missingwasher need to be in there?

2. Does it really make a difference on how the cover is installed?

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
imported post

Both the washer and the correct placement of the tabs are designed to keep the filter from loosening/spinning i would think. Probably best to install as per the manual to prevent problems. Just because it can work doesn't mean it is the proper installation.

·
Premium Member
3,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

After looking at this again, I believe that the washer is to keep the spring from pushing into the rubber sleeve on the end of the filter. The spring has flattened ends on it and the old oil filter shows no signs of damage so I am not too concerned about the missing spring.

On the other hand, I can see what you mean by the tabs keeping the filter from loosening. With the tabs on either side of the boss, there would be no way for the filter cover to spinthrough enginevibration.

Only problem I have, and I feel real stupid here, is that I already have the filter installed (the way I took it off) and have the new oil in the engine. Then and only then did I look at the book and notice the tabs and the presence of the washer.

I'll have to drain off my new oil to rework the filter cover and also go see if I can find a washer that would work. If I am going to pull it back apart, I might as well add a washer. Hopefully Ace Hardware will have one. I would rather be safe than sorry so the extra work is not a problem.

·
Premium Member
1,662 Posts
imported post

Additionally, from a self-confessed motard, I believe the "fins" on the oil filter cover are there to help assist with casting off heat. It would make sense to me to have more surface area (hence the fins) facing away from the engine.

I've tossed that stupid washer three times now as I've changed the oil resulting in me dumpster-diving to retrieve it.

(If I am the one that keeps tossing it, how come I call the washer stupid?)

Ruaidh

·
Premium Member
3,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Well, I put a clean tub under the front andpulledthe filter back off. Iran down to Ace but could not find a washer that would work quite right.

I just put it back together without the washer but this time, I lined up the tabs correctly.

I'll keep looking for a washer and will install it on next oil change. It has been without one this long, guess it won't hurt it foranother 3000 miles. As I said, i believe that it is just there to help out where the spring and the rubber insert in the end of the filter meet up.

P.S. By meet, I dont mean SPAM :goofygrin:

·
Premium Member
2,824 Posts
imported post

The washer does a couple of things, 1st it acts as a base for the spring to push against, 2nd it keeps the softer rubber from folding in especially on a blocked filter since this spring keeps the filter in place during a by-pass, but we as good GW maintenance people keep our oil changed on a regular basis.

I have torn apart many filters after use and then examined them under a scope. A lot of the OEM filters are as good as the aftermarket brands. Fram makes a lot of filters under differing names.

When I sold for Ingersoll-Rand my customer VW claimed we sold crap filters. To his dismay he researched and found that there are a few filter manufacturers but a lot of trade names. In my experience I have ripped these filters apart, measured the media length, the thickness, the by pass, the check valves and I have discovered that they are all good. In fact the OEM for the Japanese builders has a micron rating of 20 whereas the after market hits it at 10 mic. The smaller the pass through the better the chance of grabbing foreign material, the filter works best when well used and almost plugged. That is when it filters the best, the problem is the lack of oil flow to critical components. So we change out the oil and the filter and the "O" rings.

The tangs that hold the filter cap stop the cap from spinning off. You could run the bike as set now then on the next oil change re install, note that the bolt shaft has holes in it and this with the spring, washer and filter as an asembly act as a bypass, since the filter cartridge is open both ends.

Keep an eye on the filter housing and the coolant housing lower end simply examine that area each time you use the bike.

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
imported post

I get new a new bolt, washer, and o-rings with each oil filter purchased.

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
imported post

With the large O ring installed between the filter housing and engine, I don't see how the filter housing would ever start to unscrew on it's own.

·
Premium Member
1,191 Posts
imported post

...especially if its torqued downto the correct torque (16 fp ?/forums/images/emoticons/shock.gif??or whatever ).. I think it would never spin off.. SilverDave/forums/images/emoticons/emoticonsxtra/cooldj.gif

·
Premium Member
2,824 Posts
imported post

I agree but the heat cool cycles will undo the heads, oil pan, top end, just about any mechanical joint, that is why we keep an eye on them.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

The washer prevents the end of the spring from digging into the rubber seal on the end of the filter. It also increases the spring pressure holding the filter body against the engine case. That might increase in importance with the age of the machine since springs lose their strength over the years.

·
Premium Member
2,350 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:
The washer prevents the end of the spring from digging into the rubber seal on the end of the filter. It also increases the spring pressure holding the filter body against the engine case. That might increase in importance with the age of the machine since springs lose their strength over the years.
The washer was missing on my 83 so I ordered a new washer from Honda for $4.59!!:goofygrin: :goofygrin: :goofygrin: :goofygrin: :goofygrin: :goofygrin: :goofygrin: :goofygrin: :goofygrin: :goofygrin: :goofygrin: :goofygrin: :goofygrin: :goofygrin: :goofygrin:

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
imported post

I believe the purpose of the locating tab on the filter housing is to keep it from spinning when tightening the bolt.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

rkjjeep wrote:
I believe the purpose of the locating tab on the filter housing is to keep it from spinning when tightening the bolt.
I think so too.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.