Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Does anyone know a quicker way to change out timing belts on a GL1100 without removing the radiator? Does it take a special tool?

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

NO there isn't a quicker way some people have done it by loosening but not removing the radiator..it makes it hard to work but it can be done..but not by me.

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

Take it from RB. He's an expert on how to do it wrong the first time. But he's got it larnt real good now.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Taking off the radiator doesn't slow things down much, you still have to drain the cooling system just to swing out the bottom of the radiator. It can be done by swinging out the bottom of the radiator but it makes it difficult to see what you're doing and this is a job that you don't want to make a mistake on. It's a simple job but is a disaster maker if you do it wrong.

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
imported post

I just installed new timing belts on my 1981 Interstate today. Pulling the radiator wasn't too bad at all, and I've never done it before. As stated above, you could probably remove bottom connections and hose, and then swing out the bottom enough to take off covers and replace belts, but I agree with removing radiator and working like a gentleman. JMO, Mike

·
Premium Member
4,473 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:
Taking off the radiator doesn't slow things down much, you still have to drain the cooling system just to swing out the bottom of the radiator. It can be done by swinging out the bottom of the radiator but it makes it difficult to see what you're doing and this is a job that you don't want to make a mistake on. It's a simple job but is a disaster maker if you do it wrong.
:clapper::clapper::clapper::clapper::clapper:! Got my vote for sure.

~teacher~~~

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
imported post

I honestly think it is quicker removing the radiator. Much easier to get to the bolts, verify your alignment and adjust tension. I would not be able to save time by leaving the radiator in place.

Why the hurry? I turned that job into a partial service and replaced rad hoses, thermostat,oil change and rad flush. Even painted up a few parts that did not clean up and polished the belt covers while they were off. I was not in a rush at all and was done in just a few hours,Now I know when everything was replaced and don't worry about a hose blowing or stuck thermostat. Just my opinion but prevenative maintenance is always better than highway maintenance.

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

Hey, it was the water pump I had to do several times not the belts!!!!

·
Old School Guru
7,886 Posts
imported post

RB wrote:
Hey, it was the water pump I had to do several times not the belts!!!!
You should be an expert by now!:D Practice makes perfect!:D

Gene:waving:

·
Premium Member
2,929 Posts
imported post

I did the belts on my GL1100 without removing the radiator. I just unbolted it, pulled it forward a bit and wedged it there with a tool that I forget now (probably just the head of a big screwdriver). It make it a bit tricky to get to the inner bolts on the timing cover, but certainly not impossible, and didn't take all that much more time, I'm sure.

·
Valkyrie Scum
2,777 Posts
imported post

Over the last few months I have had to remove my radiator at least 3 times - I have it down to about a 10 minute job. It's really not as hard to do as you would think by looking at it. The toughest part in my opinion is putting it back on - those short hoses can make it a bit of a trick - probably easier with a 3rd hand but it's hard enough for me to keep my 2 hands under control.:cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
imported post

I did mine today 1980 gl1100 never touched the radiator. The inner bolts are a little difficult but not bad. Tom

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.