Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

i just bought a 1983aspencade 1,100 and the manual says you have to pull the motor to change the starter PLEASE TELL ME THIS IS NOT TRUE your help would be

appreciated thank you bill

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
imported post

No, you don't have to pull the motor. Best thing to do is perform a search on the board and you'll find full writeups how to take it out and install it.

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the site!

You do not have to pull the engine. To change the starter:
Keep your bike on side stand
Tie the shift lever up as high as it will go
Disconnect starter cable
remove the two bolts holding the starter, I think 8mm. The forward bolt will require a 1/4 drive with extension and a swivel
Pull the old one out, a little wiggling
Put some grease or oil on the new starter's o ring.
Put the new starter in

Well that's what worked for me (the new starter's o ring is may be a bit larger, I reused my old one.)

Stocker starters are great if you haven't bought one yet. Watch out for the ebay ones.

Other guys can come along and give even better advice.

Have a great day!

Chuck

·
Premium Member
503 Posts
imported post

no you dont have to pull motor leave on side stand undo battery you will have to use 1/4 drive extenson and swivel 10mm socket I think .also take cable nut off starter make sure bolt does not turn.wiggle starter towards the front.when going back in coat oring with a little oil.

also welcome to the forum there is always help here when you need it...

alan:waving::waving::waving:

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
imported post

Yep the hardest part is wriggling it out. It will come out without undoing anything other than the two bolts that hold it in and the power cable.

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
imported post

Not a hard job,but why are you changing it out many starting issues can be in the wiring.
Oh welcome to this great site.

·
Guru
3,074 Posts
imported post

where are you planning on buying your replacement starter?

have you googled stocker starters out of california? be ware of chineese cheapo

starters, they dont last!

·
Premium Member
2,970 Posts
imported post

I 2nd Stocker starters for great price and awesome customer service. I do believe the name changed but the ownership is the same.

Last Time I bought one was a remanufactured starter for $120 and a $20 core return. He ships you your starter and you repack the box with your core starter and a few days later your account is refunded the $20..
Elwood stocker has helped me out several times.

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.