Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Good Day, I am considering replacing the stock grips with leather ones. I know thatI can simply cut off the stock one and replace them. However can the grips be replaced without destroying stock grips. Will a squirt of WD40 unders the grips loosen them enough to pull them off?

Blackhat

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

Hello Blackhat and welcome to the best goldwing site on the net ,I think you will have to cut them ,as it would be very difficult to get WD40 in under them ,,what you could try is to get a hairdryer and heat them and then try pulling them off,but they are not expensive to replace if the leather ones dont work out ,,Dont do anything just yet ,until you get some advice from one of the GURUS on the site ,,A GURU is someone whos knows what he is talking about ,,(I think ):)Cheers CIaran:waving::waving:

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
imported post

I've read that you can get compressed air and blow the grips up almost like a small baloon. This makes it easier to peel them off.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

It worked for me, on the left grip of my bike. I removed it to put in a new foam spacer between the control switches and the flange of the grip. Wrapped a couple turns of masking tape between the flange and the switch group, poked a hole in the tape and pumped in some air. Came off fairly easily. Won't guarantee that the treatment won't blow the switches apart though. Don't hit it with125lbs of air be gentle.

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
imported post

Welcome BlackHat... If you have the time, just do a search for "hand grips" and start reading the posts on the subject. There are quite a few tips listed there... I've used the compressed air method and it works. However, like Exavid stated, be extremely careful. You can do some damage not only to the bike, but to yourself if something decides to leave the bike in a real quick fashion. Keep your face away from the work area and wear safety glasses. FYI,, I've come across some bikes where the OEM hand grips were glued to the rotator sleeve by persons unknown.. they don't come glued on from the factory, it's something like a press fit. If you find them glued on, you can work them loose with a small screwdriver blade or some heat from a hair dryer. I don't recommend any solvents because the slightest drip on to a painted surface will cause damage. Work on it....Renegade

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
imported post

I put the nozzle of my air compressor blow tool into the small hole in the end of the hand grip, and applied a little air. The cap in the end of the handlebar keeps the air from just blowing throughso the hand grip puffed up like a balloon and slipped right off!

Bob

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
imported post

I recently replaced the grips on my 83. I was ready to cut them off, but a friend told me that I could just do like we used to on bicycles...sort of start at the end and just twist a bit at a time, breaking the grip of the glue. Worked great, and it didn't take much time at all. I didn't have to worry about compressed air or WD-40 (though I did use some to get the glue off the bars once the grips were pulled). I don't know why I saved the old grips, except that in the very remote possibility that I'd ever sell my bike I'd want to keep my Kuryakyn grips. Sweet grips by the way. :)

Jack

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Thanks all. I ended up using a blast of compressed air. Work like a charm.

Blackhat

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.