Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
2. Tie down the clutch lever to keep the internals of the slave cylinder from falling out.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

5.1 This is what the alternator looks like with the main charging wire still connected.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

8. Remove the 14 bolts that hold the clutch cover. Here is the cover after being removed. There are 7 long bolts and 7 shorter bolts. The picture shows the cover with the 7 long bolts in place. The remaining 7 holes are where the shorter bolts go.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

8.1 Here is the cover with the hose holders on the left side in place. The ones on the right side are not shown because it is easier to leave them hanging on the hoses on the bike.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

11. To remove the lock nut:
Straighten the lock washer tab. I fooled around for a while trying to come up with materials to build a nice elegant holding tool like Honda’s, but finally just made due without. I put a 1 ¼ inch socket on a breaker bar, attached it to the lock nut, had my wife hold the rear brake, and I smacked the breaker bar with a two foot long two by four. The nut came loose the first time. Then it is just a matter of unscrewing the nut the rest of the way, removing the locking tab, and sliding the clutch assembly off of the shaft.

12. The clutch pack has to be disassembled by pressing on the clutch spring enough to make it possible to remove the snap ring.

12.1 I did find two friction disks that were destroyed. So, I ordered the clutch kit on EBAY from Saber Cycles. These clutch disks were not Honda OEM but seem to work just fine. There are 9 disks in the clutch:
1 each Honda PN 22202-MT8-000
6 each Honda PN 22201-MT8-000
2 each Honda PN 22203-MT8-000
The kits from saber cycles only have 7 disks. They specify that their disks are replacements for 22202-MT8-000 and 22201-MT8-000. So, I complained via email and they immediately sent two more disks, but they were exactly the same as the other 6 that replace 22201-MT8-000.

As I looked the disks over, there was only one that was a different size (22202-MT8-000). PN's 22201 and 22203 were only different with regards to the face pattern. The other after-market disks did not match the honda disk face patterns at all. So, I elected to install the disks anyway and take my chances. This gave me all new aftermarket disks.

13. After soaking the disks in 4 stroke MC oil I installed them in the clutch pack and installed the clutch pack back into the bike. Note: This is a real pain in the a... because all of the disks have to be perfectly aligned. The manual says to put the whole thing together without the clutch spring, slide it into the basket, slide it back out and install the spring without moving the disks. Ya right!! The way I did it was like they said, but there is no way to get it perfect. So, after getting the clutch pack started in the clutch basket far enough to encounter the first disk that is out of alignment. Then, using a strip of wood and a mallet against the disk teeth, I bumped the teeth just enough to line them up. I was able to get to all of the teeth by rotating the rear tire to turn the clutch basket (bike in gear of course). Place the center nut on the shaft and use it to slowly and carefully pull the clutch pack into the basket as each disk is aligned. If you make a mistake here you take a chance on breaking something expensive.

14. From here on just assemble in reverse order. Sorry I didn't take pictures of the clutch pack when it was out. Just got in a hurry and forgot.

·
Premium Member
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

One added note. The test ride went well. So, for now I trust the after-market friction disks. They seem to have done the job very well.

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
imported post

Looking at your bike mileage, at 60,000 mls requires clutch replacement worries me. My bike now approaching 50000mls. tq

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
imported post

Thanks for the info on the clutch project. I am going to change mine out soon. It shudders and slips on heavy throttle usage. I am at 200000 miles since I replaced them.

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
imported post

Wyaatt wrote:
Thanks for the info on the clutch project. I am going to change mine out soon. It shudders and slips on heavy throttle usage. I am at 200000 miles since I replaced them.
Wow, congratulations on your 200000mls. Can you share your expereiences with your bike. I meant maintenance history. Such as major parts replaced and are happy with the reliability of your bike. Tq and regards

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
imported post

Nice write up and excellent pictures.

Shame you didn't get pics of the clutch pack, But it's really hard to do the job and document each step. I know I've tried.

Atta Boy and Mana to you. Heheheh You figure out which is worth More. Grin

Thanks for the sweet post, This will be saved by lots of us.

Mohawk

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.