Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have an 84 GL1200 Aspencade, We were told that in order to refill the bike with coolant the fairing and dummy fuel tank and everything must come off. We were then told that you didnt have to do that so my question is, how do yo refill the coolant system? I know there is the small overflow tank inside the dummy fuel tank but where do you add it after you drain the system.

---Eric

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

You will need to remove the seat, inner fairing covers, (the rubber filler pieces on either side of the handlebar) and top cover to have reasonable access to the radiator cap which is located under the front right corner of the 'faux tank' or top cover in front of and below theexpansion bottle. It is not the easiest access even with the cover off. Some have managed to get a hand in and remove the cap, but it's difficult to get the cap back on securely even with the top cover off. I'd recommend a copy of Clymers service manual, you're going to need it!

:waving::15red::waving:

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:
I'd recommend a copy of Clymers service manual, you're going to need it!
Or better still try and get your hands on the Honda service manual. :clapper:

:leprechaun::18red::leprechaun:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I've had both the Honda and Clymers for both my bikes. I think the Honda manual is the best reference but if you don't have too much experience with mechanical work the Clymers might be the more useful. The Honda manual seems to assume a bit more knowledge of general mechanical practices while the Clymers has a bit more detail in the how to do it. The best way to go is to get all of them you can find, the Honda service manual, the electrical supplemental, Clymers and even Haynes. Each one has a slightly different slant which sometimes helps with something that isn't entirely clear in one of the other.

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Well I got it all took apart and it was real easy actually. The hardest part was getting the seat off. We had no clue of the littler lever inside the dummy fuel tank so ended up taking the bracket off that the seat goes in then figured out that it was there. Other than that it was very simple and took about 10 minutes or so.

---Eric

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
imported post

I am about to do this same procedure with my 82 interstate... can anybody give me any tips for the 82 1100 for replacing the coolant? thanks!

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
imported post

For the 82 I think you may hae to take the seat off so you can get the dummy gas tank off.

Gives you an excuse to clean under the seat.

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
imported post

If the 82 is like my 83 you will have to remove the seat. Remove the trunk, 1 allen screw on each side of the aft part of the seat. Remove those and slide the seat back. 4 screws in the false tank. 2 under the seat and 1 on each side at the front under the lower fairings. False tank will then slide off. It may require a little maneuvering of the tank but it will come off. Cap on the 83 is under the right front corner of the tank. I would drain the tank and flush with distilled water. Fill with distilled water and run it for a few minutes then drain again. And fill with 50-50 mix using distilled water and silicate free antifreeze. Good Luck

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
imported post

Thanks much!

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
imported post

First off, I am not a Honda dealer nor do I work for one. If it were me I would get the Honda coolant. It is 50-50 mix in the bottle. I am on my 3rd GL and I have to put a water pump in it as I have had to on the last 2 I had. Found out it was the prestone antifreez I was using. It has silicates and phosphates in it. The Honda stuf states on the bottle it is free of these things. At $3.95 a quart it is cheap insurance. Have you ever changed a water pump on a wing?

Just my 2 cents worth.:waving:

Reg

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.