Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Changing the fork oil

3K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  JDuggan 
#1 ·
imported post

I'd like to change the fork oil on my GL1500 (98 U.S spec).

I've previously been told that there are no oil drain plugs on the bike but I've just read a good article on this site's 'Tips' page that contradicts this. The tip mentions removing the oil drain bolts.

Can anyone confirm whether or not there are drain plugs on the bike?

Thanks for any help

#2 ·
imported post

The "drain" bolts are on the anti-dive units. It's the 10mm head bolt in between the lower 2 allen head bolts. It's a messy way to drain the oil unless you tape a cardboard funnel to each leg to divert the oil into a pan. You will have to pump the forks to get the oil out quickly of it will take all day!

#6 ·
imported post

Thanks for your help lads.

I changed the oil with the forks in situ. I used a couple of carrier bags to keep the oil away from the brakes and divert it into a drip tray, they also stopped it shooting across the garage floor!

I used a 60ml syringe (biggest I could find) to measure the new oil andrefill the forks. I found that a short length of silicon tube inserted on the end of it helped fill the forks more quickly and avoided air locks in the valve openings (I removed the valves from the top of the forks).

Hope this helps anyone else trying to change the oil without removing the forks.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.