Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Looking for information on how to change the fork oil on the 1800 without removing the forks. Is there a way to do this? The shop manual does not indicate so, it shows the forks removed and pouring the oil out. This is fine for rebuilding, I just wish to change the oil periodicallylike I did on my old dirt bikes. (Unscrew the drains and pump out the oil. Uncap and refill and work out the air bubbles, refill to the mark).

The shop manual shows a CENTER BOLT. It screws into the OIL LOCK PIECE or the other fork, it's the FORK PISTON.

If the answer is NO, has anyone drilled and tapped drain holes in the bottom of the forks? Has anyone drilled and tapped the caps for filling the tubes again?

I must be approaching uncharted waters here with the 1800.

Thanks, your comments are welcome as usual.

Longboater,

·
Administrator
27,793 Posts
imported post

I do believe you can drain the oil by removing the axle and the screw from the bottom. I did mine by removing the anti-dive valve from the left fork and removing the right fork complete and dumping it out. The right fork cap has a damper rod attached to it so it would prevent putting a plug in it to refill. I suppose a hole could be tapped in the bottom but I wouldn't want to be the first to try it.

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
imported post

Thanks Dave,

My request needs to be really thought all the way through. Read some where last night that spring compression under the caps makes assembly interesting. Not giving up on this yet and will let you know the out come. Checking with the Traxxion people next week for their comments.

Longboater

·
Administrator
27,793 Posts
imported post

There is not much spring pressure under the caps,you can put them back on barehanded. The right one can't come off anyway since it's held by the damper rod.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.