Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
2008 GL1800
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

After getting down to the belts (with the help of Rudy's guide) I found that both belts havesomething in excess of 1 inch ofmovement. It's hard to tell exactly how much due to the belts hitting the housing before much pressure builds on my finger. I also have a large amount of red dust on most of thesurfaces except where the belts and pulleyshave madecontact. By moving the crank to tighten the long side of the belts I am able to wiggle the tensioners and can feel and hear a clicking sound. The two Honda shops in my area have priced the tensioners at $87.70 and $94.00 each before taxes so I'm rebuilding the old ones and have parts on order. Now the problem.........How do the radiators come off? The book statesto remove the mounting bolt at thetop outside location, remove the radiator from the boss at the bottom, remove 3 hoses and to disconnect wiring, remove radiator. How do you reach the top hose clamps before the radiator is dropped down? I would like to remove the radiators and have a shop clean and check their condition before my parts come in and I start back with the new belts and tensioners.

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
imported post

Chas,
Just did this job on my 96 1500. If you remove the radiator fans, you can get to the top hose clamps on the back of the radiators. It is tight trying to work in a confined area, but if you take your time it is not too bad. I did timing belts and steering head bearing at the same time.

·
Premium Member
2008 GL1800
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Waggawing,

Thanks for the response! I noticed the fans the other night but wasn't sure about the connectors attached at the top of the fan housing. I'll see if I can get the connector block off the fan and then get to the top hose. Thanks again for your fast responce.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.