Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Has anyone changed the timing belts on your 1500 GL? How long did it take, how difficult was it and where did you buy the timing belts?

Sorry for the repeated question. I forgot to do a search on timing belts. I found some information.:jumper:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

sixt5 wrote:
Has anyone changed the timing belts on your 1500 GL? How long did it take, how difficult was it and where did you buy the timing belts?

Sorry for the repeated question. I forgot to do a search on timing belts. I found some information.:jumper:
One of the best sources for the belts is your local NAPA store. Check out Steve's Goldwing tips and you'll find the NAPA part numbers. It's not a complicated job, probably take a couple hours the first time, mostly checking and rechecking the timing and tension. Second time can take less than an hour. GL1200s are best done by removing or shifting the radiator, GL1500s have some wires and an air duct tube that has to be shifted to get the covers off. The easiest bike to change the belts on is the GL1800!

'Cause they don't have any!

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:
sixt5 wrote:

One of the best sources for the belts is your local NAPA store. Check out Steve's Goldwing tips and you'll find the NAPA part numbers. It's not a complicated job, probably take a couple hours the first time, mostly checking and rechecking the timing and tension. Second time can take less than an hour. GL1200s are best done by removing or shifting the radiator, GL1500s have some wires and an air duct tube that has to be shifted to get the covers off.
The easiest bike to change the belts on is the GL1800!
And the 1500 is the 2nd easiest. I gave a hand with this job once. It took us a morning but it was quite easy and I'd say I could do it alone in a couple of hours next time as Paul suggests. It's great that you don't have to drain and pull the radiators.

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
imported post

Hello sixt5, I like your avatar. You should easily get the belts done in a half-day. No special tools are needed.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Just wondering what was on the sign that was cut away on the avatar?

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

He was probably hidding behind a Happy St. Patricks Day sign.

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Instead of starting a new thread on the subject I need to ask one more question about replacing the timing belts.

What are the symtoms of needing the timing belts changed?

The 1500 SE I just bought from the original owner has 80,000 miles on it and has the original belts. It's been 14 years since I've ridden a 1500. The sound that I'm hearing coming up through the fork tube area of the faring when under power and going through the gears is not familar to me.

The sound eventually goes away once I get to crusing speed in OD.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

sixt5 wrote:
What are the symtoms of needing the timing belts changed?

The 1500 SE I just bought from the original owner has 80,000 miles on it
The second sentence is the symptom. 80,000 miles on the belts is a bit of a risk, I wouldn't run them much more than 40,000-50,000

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
imported post

Mine has a bit of road noise coming through the fork tubes at the faring. I think a lot of them do! At least I think it's road noise. It stays even with the clutch pulled in and coasting. My belts were replaced 3k ago. for what it's worth.

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
imported post

Well I am new to Goldwings as such, I have been riding sports bikes for too long.

I recently got myself a 1989 GL1500 with 50k on the clock, service history was sketchy so I figured better safe than sorry. Now whilst I have worked on many bikes, I am no mechanic. I manged to fit my cambelts VERY easily, within 90 minutes including removing the panels etc.

The only thing that gets in the way is the hose for the vents, just move this out of the way!

I would aslo suggest making your own marks, as well as the standard ones, just to make sure you have it lined up spot on. I find Tipex (typists correction fluid) works a treat.

You are meant to have between 5-7mm play in the new belts once installed.

It really is very simple, don't be put off!

Good luck ;)

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

I've got a new set of timing belts and adjusters on order for my '94 1500 SE.

The more I think about it, the more I think that it's passed time to change the belts a adjusters.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

mark1247 wrote:
The only thing that gets in the way is the hose for the vents, just move this out of the way!
It's kinda like they have to engineer in some irritants. One of the first things I thought about when I got my 1500 was, wow, two radiators mounted high up, makes belt changes easy! Then when I did it there's that damn vent tube! If it ever breaks, I'm going to replace it with some aviation SCAT tube, at least that stuff is easier to move around.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

sixt5 wrote:
Paul,

What vent tube are you talking about?
There's one that goes passes vertically across the timing cover and tucks between it and a frame tube at the top. It fit pretty tight on my bike and took a pretty good tug to get enough slack to pull the cover.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.