Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

New to this so please forgive. Is there an easy way to change valve stem seals on a 1500? The Honda manual does not give details, but it looks like it requires pulling the timing belts, cams/rockers to get to the little guys.

From reading quite a few posts, I am pretty sure that this is the problem, (occasional grey puff of smoke at startup)but am a little uncertain as to when it is really necessary to change them. I am not using oil, it runs great between tuneups, it onlyhas 40K (10K are mine), but is a 1994, so if it is loads of trouble, I'm not sure that I will want to tackle it, and it will probably cost tons at the shop.

If anyone hastackled changing valve stem seals on a 1500,I would love to hear about it. Thanks.:goofygrin:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

JerichoNP wrote:
From reading quite a few posts, I am pretty sure that this is the problem, (occasional grey puff of smoke at startup)but am a little uncertain as to when it is really necessary to change them.
:waving::waving:Welcome to the Best Goldwing Site on the Internet JerichoNP!:waving::waving:

Based on my principle of benign neglect I'd say leave them alone. It's not unusual for a horizontally configured bike engine to puff a bit of smoke on start up. It'snot always from the valve stems, it cancome from oil pooling in the cylinders that's leaked in past the rings while the bike was sittingonthe side stand. If you're not using any appreciable oil, if your plugs look good, why bother a fine running mill, just ride it.

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
imported post

If not consuming any measureable quantity of oil (More than 1/2 qt per 500 - 1000miles) leave it alone.

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Thanks guys. Your advice makes perfect sense.

·
Premium Member
612 Posts
imported post

If it's any comfort Neil, all Goldwings puff some smoke when cold, once they reach a certain age. It doesn't matter how low the mileage is. The valve seals just get hard with age. I haven't seen any GL1800s doing this yet, so maybe the seals on them are made better.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.