it's been rubbing a bracket, and that's causing a dent in the line,
and it will in time cause the loss of the break fluid. There is also
a section on the fairing that is rubbing the coolant hose, and I'm
thinking that's where the leak is. Looking at the fairing I can see
what looks like coolant has run down it, and that's the area that
the coolant was dripping from. So, I would suggest that some
should take the time to check their break fluid line, and coolant
hose for rubbing and wear. I will try to resize some photos of this
and post them so you all will be able to see what I'm dealing with.
Now.... Again, has anyone ever changed any of their coolant hoses
on their GW 1800 ?

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
hoses

Roger,

I pulled the engine out of my 03 last summer (ADG). I checked all of the hoses at that time and didn't see any reason to change them. They were all pliant and didn't have any cracks or signs of age. The bike is known to have clamps that either loosen or weren't tightened properly at assembly. If your seeing signs of leakage, I would strongly suspect clamps first.

Richard

·
Premium Member
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Richard,
Thank very much for the info. I will take your advice on checking the clamps first. I wish we could get to all the clamps, but from what I've seen so far, The only clamps I can get to are the clamps on the radiator hoses. Everything beyond that I cant even see. So in order for me to be able to get to those water hoses, I have to remove the engine ? Sure wish there was an better way of doing it.

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
hoses

Well, no that wouldn't be the preferred way. There are several under the gas tank. While you're in there, check the ground terminal. It's another common huckleberry. That coolant hose connection under the tank is usually the issue. You really don't want to pull the inner fairing, unless there isn't any other way. I didn't need to, but you might be able to get to some of the big hose clamps by removing the header covers. Good luck.

Richard

·
Premium Member
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Snowclem,
Thanks for the input on the problem I'm having. I just uploaded a few photo's showing the area of the bike that I'm dealing with now. In the photo's you'll see that I did remove a inner section of the fairing, and by doing that, It did open up a view of the radiator and hoses. I'm real unhappy because I can't get to all of the hose clamps. I was able to get to one, and it was a tad bit lose, so I tightened it up a bit. I did start the engine this evening and let it warm up until the cooling fans came on. I was in hopes of seeing the leak but I didn't see anything, not one drop. Now I'm wondering if that leak was from the small hose clamp that I tightened up... Hmmmm Just don't know. I'm going to take the bike on the open highway the warm day we have, get it good and warmed up, then check it again.

The hose that you speak of under the fuel tank, Can I get to that hose without having to mess with the fuel tank? Any advice is more than appreciated..... Thanks again

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
There's two plastic three way yokes that are a known 'weep' issue. They're only accessible properly by removing the fuel tank...however you would notice that on the rear kinda under the plastic engine covers for oil and coolant res check.

I've had a few issues with coolant 'weeping' at the two small crossover tubes at the top front of the rad...near the top front 'big' hoses and on the big hoses themselves. Yes, the gear clamp tighteners are hard to get at. Sometimes you can reach them with a wrench instead of a phillips driver...be creative. Hoses are tight in there behind the middle spoiler, and I've noticed similar wear marks as you describe...but I've never actually seen anything wear through.

The rad material on GL1800's is REALLY soft. You can actually easily bend and distort the fittings. I'm surprised they don't leak more often they do. On at least one occasion, the only way I could get the 'weeping' stopped was to wrap teflon tape around the rad fitting. Usually a good snug on the gear clamps will do it.

·
Premium Member
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dizzy,
Thank you for the input. The small crossover tube that you speak of, I did tighten the upper tube's clamp on the left side just a bit. and that's area is where I find the coolant leaking. Knock on wood, so far I've not seen any coolant behind the side covers that you mentioned. I hope that never happens because how does one remove the fuel tank? I'm placing an order for a shop manual asap because there are so many things I want to know, and I'd probably drive everyone here just a tad bit crazy if I started asking... LOL I will say that I'm very happy that I found the site, it seems that for the most of it, the people here are kind, and helpful when they can be, and that's great.

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
this will help

Roger,

If you have an occasion coming up, that someone would buy you a gift for, have them get you the item below. I have them and I think that they will save the average guy that wants to work on his own GL1800, 10X what they cost within the 1st year of ownership. I have done more to my and my buds bikes because of them, than I would ever have imagined. They don't replace the owners manual, but they do show you how to do most of what anyone would want to do.

http://wingstuff.com/products/33308-fred-harmon-s-maintenance-dvd-set-2001-2013-gl1800

Richard

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
I agree.I bought the set 2 years ago and now do all my maintenance from freds vidios.He will show how to take the gas tank out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.