Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Today when I was coming home from work I realised that the remote switch for the stereo wasn't working as I couldn't mute or select stations up or down.

Are there three wise men who can give me a hint where to look? :D

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

I would be looking for a bad connection from the handlebar wiring downwards.

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
imported post

The "up/down" and mute share a common ground, which I'd suspect, and as englishted posts -- connectors carry that ground...

If you pull the left outter fairing (or maybe even just the reflector) you should be able to access the connector for the left-bar radio controls. It'll be fitted to the connector mounting plate there behind the refelctor, and will be 4-pins in a black connector body -- depending on year, it changes places in that mounting (my '88 has it as the forward-most and upper connector, a '95 I did a few weeks back had it as the 3rd from the front top).

As englishted suggests, chick to ensure that the connector is happy -- you can measure the ground on the bike's side of that connector; ground should be a green wire with a dark stripe. Since each of the 3 switches connect to the "ground" wire when actuated, you can also measure back-up to the control switches to verify that actuating one switch cause one of the other 3-wires to connect to the ground wire.

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
imported post

Is your radio muted all the time as well? If so, its the ground for the control. I took off my handlebar cover, cut the green ground wire going into the control switch, and ran a new piece of wire from it down to the handlebar mount bolts and it works great now.

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Thanks gentlemen, I had the plastic off recently to check for a short and to remove the starter motor to rebuild and all connections were as clean as a whistle just a little dusty (No not that Dusty!) in a few places. The stereo works fine on it's own but the Channel changer is awol.I'll strip it down on Saturday again and have a look see. Thanks for all the suggestions.
Colm

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.