Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Ok so here goes. I started my bike after a long ride just to move it in the garage and as soon as it started it died. I found the main fuse blown and after further inspection I found one of the yellow wires from the stator in the connector at the reg/rectifier melted to the red/white wire.(power from battey) I have tested the reg/rectifier and it does test out of spec. (open circuit from 2 of the yellows to the green) after replacing the fuse that was blown and leaving the rec/regulator unplugged I wanted to see if the bike ran so I pulled in the clutch abd the bike fired but . . . as soon as I release the clutch or put the bike in gear with the clutch still in the bike dies. I lose all power to the lights and ignition.

Question #1. . .Can a bad reg/rectifier melt the connector?

Question #2. . . What on earth is causing the bike to die when i let the clutch out?

Question #3. . .Are my problems here so odd and random that they can only be

chalked up to the worstluck on the planet?

Thank you for your time.

·
Guru
3,074 Posts
imported post

The 3 yellow wires from the stator get very hot. The stator works on a shunt system so any power produced that is not needed goes to ground causing heat as a byproduct.

Cut the connector on your 3 wires located under your battery cover right out. Take the 3 yellow wires & slide shrink tube way down the 3 wires out of the way. Now sodder the 3 wires back together. than slide the shrink tube over the sodder joints & heat them in place.

At this point, re connect your rectifier, check & clean all main connections & re start your wing. Check for good charging volts at the battery.

Your wing probably stalled under load when you let out the clutch due to low voltage in your battery which could not feed the coils enough to give you a good spark.

Keep us posted.

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
imported post

Hatchetman,

that connector was already cut out of this bike before I bought it. the connector that melted was the one at the regulator not behind the battery cover. I replaced the connector and plugged the regulator/rectifier back in and no charging. Like I said it is testing out of spec so I am going to purchase a new one. But this brings me too the stalling. I just realized that even when I have the ignition on(bike not running) I get no power to the lights until I pull in the clutch. with the key on and engine off if i pull in and release the clutch the headlamp will turn on and off with it. When it is start and I release the clutch or even put the bike in gear I lose all power to lights and ignition (not low voltage, the clutch switch and the nuetral safety are cutting power to the bike) It acts like my old bike that had a kick stand switch if it was down and you released the clutch or put the bike in gear it would die. I have been readin the wiring diagrams and cant tell how the clutch or neutral safety switch tie into the ignition or the headlamp. Thus my confusion. Thanx

·
Premium Member
1,020 Posts
imported post

This is going to sound stupid but here goes,
Sounds like your ground for the whole bike is going through your clutch cable.

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
imported post

Just a blind guess, but I'm pretty sure there's a switch at the clutch lever. It may be shorting out.

Sounds like you need another R/R too.

Now the main fuse, have you replaced the 'dogbone' with a blade type?

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
imported post

Yes I replaced the fuse with a blade and i tested the clutch and the neutral light switch. I also have to assume they are working because the bike runs perfect until i either let the clutch out or shift out of neutral. somehow those switches are wired into something that is killing power to the bike. I was wondering if this may be related to the reg/rect unplugged and the bike not charging tripping some built in failsafe. mabey im streching but its just so odd to me. Does anyone elses headlamp not turn on till you pull the clutch in? Thanks for the ideas guys. Keep em comin cause im fresh out.

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

have you checked the main harness for any sign of over heating ? i mean like wires melting to gather . also head lite should come on and stay on when you have the key to run postion (or ing. ) and should go off when you press the starter button and come back on when released.i`d be looking for a short some where or a lack of a ground.

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
imported post

Could there be a bad diode in circuit somewhere? Asking because I don't have a schematic for the 1100.
Mike

·
Premium Member
3,795 Posts
imported post

I'm fairly certain you have a diode in the clutch/gear posistion safety circuit. Supposed to prevent the starter/ignition from energising with bike in gear and the clutch lever OUT. Putting 50/60 vac to the diode may have taken it out before blowing the main fuse. (just guessing)

I have no idea where the diode is located on the bike, but your symtoms sure sound similar to past problems posted in the tech section. :gunhead:

·
Administrator
27,923 Posts
imported post

Biker John is pretty close but not quite. The electrical system is being grounded through the clutch switch or neutral switch. Check the ground wire connection where the reg/rec bolts to the frame.

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
imported post

Dave thanks alot i will check that in the morning and let everyone know what i find. Thanks guys for the help hopefully ill find it.

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
imported post

Gentlemen,

You all have as usual helped me solve the problem. New rect/reg and a newly cleaned ground connection at the mounting bolt for the rec/regulator and last night I was on a "Wing and a Prayer" Thank you all so much.

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

glad to see that you got it all fixed up. thanks also for the up date.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.