Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having a charging issue on my 1987 aspencade. I am looking for possible suggestions to the problem. Just did an engine swap out and replaced the stator with a new one. Also installed a new battery and a new voltage rectifier. I used crimp connectors and hard soldered the 3 wire connections for the new stator. Ohm meter shows I have good connections. The manual says should be putting out 14 to 15 volts at 3000 rpms. When first started and ran motor I got a reading of 14 volts but now reading 12 volts at best and installed new volt meter guage and it doesn't appear to be charging. I was told it doesn't matter what order you connect the 3 yellow wires from the stator to the voltage rectifier. Is there a different order for this possibly? Motor runs sweet and I can't wait to ride my bike but I ride distances and am worried about the charging issue. Any ideas or input is greatly appreciated as I really don't want to pull motor out again to fix this problem but I will if I have to. I know some of you guys have dealt with motor swaps and maybe 1 of you have come across this issue. thanks again this is why I love this blog!!

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
You replaced the stator. Who did you buy it from. Who manufactured it. Sadly, all stators are not created equal.
Ohm checks good doesn't tell us much.
Disconnect your stator wires and check continuity to ground again. There should be NO continuity to ground. Open circuit. Infinite resistance.
If you've used an inferior stator, you may be doing this again.

·
Premium Member
1,232 Posts
I would think that your rectifier/ regulator connections or unit are faulty. I rarely have stators fail. To test them I use a high current test of hooking a 12volt supply directly to each phase. On the GW I would recommend doing it at the regulator/rectifier which would eliminate any bad connections between it and the stator.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.