Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi guy`s, I am looking for a little help here, today our 94 1500 developed a charging issue, so using back posts followed instructions, At battery posts with engine running I have battery voltage onlyand dropping, even at 2000 revs, checked fuses and relays all seem ok, so now I am at the alternator, not sure where to check for voltage output, is it the heavy white wire on the alternator and ground if it is, then I have battery voltage onlyand dropping, does this look like brushes ? with 38k miles I dont think the alternator has been touched before, is it worth buying a reconditiond unit? Thanks in advance Art.

·
Administrator
26,566 Posts
imported post

There is a black/light green wire going to the alternator, disconnect it and check it for voltage. If it has voltage the alternator is probably going to have to come off. If it does not check the #11 15A fuse in the fuse box.

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

hi art if the voltage is dropping its the ault you can get it rebuilt no prob about 90euro over here or you can get the compufire witch puts out twice the power if your running a lot of lights ect also its a good idea to install a volt meter on the bike as it will pre warn you of any further probs

·
Premium Member
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Daveo340, checked the 11 fuse its ok , if the black/green wire has voltage what does that tell us,

·
Administrator
26,566 Posts
imported post

If it has voltage and you are getting power on the large white wire also that is all that is needed to get a charge from the alternator, besides being turned by the engine of course, if the alternator is good.

·
Premium Member
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

agnogel, I dont run with extra lights, only have a sat nav and Autocom system, I agree about a volt meter, the nav and autocom are plugged into a cigar lighter type socket, which has a green and red light, green tells me the bike is charging and red when it is not, thought it was just a gimmick, but untill today it has always been green, but today it is red, so suppose I have a kind of a volt meter.

·
Premium Member
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

DaveO430, I`ll check that black/ green wire in the morning as its 10.30pm here in the UK. so if there is a voltage there," I gather with the engine off " then the alt. has to be pulled,
Thanks for your help Gentlemen.
Art.

·
Premium Member
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Pulled the alt today, and split it enough so I could atleast see the brushes, they were well caked in carbon deposits, the springs were not strong enough to push throughthis crud, I used a long thin screwdriver to loosen the carbon on the first brush then pushed it in to its housing a few times to make sure it was moving freely, then did the same to the second brush, there was still plenty of ware left on these, blew all the rubbish out of the casing and re- assemble the alt. put it back on the bike, which was a lot quicker than I thought it would take,

fitted the now fully charged battery, fired the bike up, and now I have 14.35 volts at the battery posts, job done, this a do-able road side job if stuck a long way from home, for me it was quicker than having to say " pull and re-install the rear wheel for a puncture for instance. I hope this infocan be of help to someone, and thanks to DaveO430 and agnogel for thier help. Art.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.