Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

any advice please.

ive got a gl1500 89 i bought it recently and ive not been able to use it.

i went out on it and after a few miles it stopped on idle at the lights,we got it back by fitting a battery pack to the battery.we replaced the battery thinking it was no good but again it did the same thing on idle,i had the alternater checked it was blown so i replaced it with a genuine honda part,went out on it was well dissapointed half a mile down the road again on idle it cut out.

when we tested it before i went out on it the battery was charging and the lights were bright when it cuts out the lights are dim and theres nothing on the button the starter will not turn the lights are dim.

the second time the spedo did not work but previously it was ok,the bike is us spec and the lights cannot be turned off but its 20 years old and its managed with the lights on for all that time.

one other thing i should mention is that the previous owner has hard wired out the main fuse,ive ordered a new fuse.

desperate for any advice.

kindest regards dave

·
Premium Member
2,032 Posts
imported post

Sorry I can't help you Dave, but someone will be along soon who will and welcome to the best forum in the world :action:

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

Welcome from the state of Pennsylvania!

·
Premium Member
9,790 Posts
imported post

Welcome to this Great Site!

Pull up a chair and join on in!

Ride Safe, Ray

:waving:

·
Pops
4,519 Posts
imported post

Hello and welcome from Arizona.

·
Premium Member
4,472 Posts
imported post

Welcome Aboard!:waving:

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

Dave, why don't use ask this question in the General or Technical forum, you would get a lot better response. Welcome from this side of the pond, sunny Southern California

·
I am the Hobo
9,690 Posts
imported post

welcome to the forum Dave, post this in the tech section and you will get a faster response.

·
Premium Member
7,133 Posts
imported post

Hey! :waving: from Hamburg, NY
[align=center]THIS IS A GREAT PLACE TO BE![/align]

If you have Goldwing Technical Smarts - GIVE IT! :2finger:

If you need help - ASK FOR IT! :blushing:
If you know of an event coming up or a cool ride you went on - SHARE IT! :banana:

If you have a joke or funny story - TELL IT! :cheeky1:[/align]
If you have prayers to give or need some - FOR HEAVEN'S SAKE, SAY IT! :angel:

If you have anything bad to say to or about anyone on this forum - STUFF IT! :whip:

[align=center] WELCOME TO THE FAMILY!!!
:cooler:[/align]

·
Premium Member
6,870 Posts
imported post

Welcome from the
Steve Saunder's GOLDWING FORUM

A Big Welcome FromTEXAS

·
Premium Member
14,148 Posts
imported post

:waving: :waving: :waving: :waving: :waving: :waving: :waving: :waving:

Hello from Virginia,

Welcome Aboard!!!!!

Glad to have you with us!

:waving: :waving: :waving: :waving: :waving: :waving: :waving: :waving:

I recommend you post your question over in the technical section. Most of the gurus won't see it over here, and a lot more people frequent over there. Just a few of us greeters hang out over here on a regular basis.

·
Premium Member
20,611 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the Forum from Kansas!!! :waving:

I hope you find the Forum as informative and as much fun as we do!!:cooldevil:

Again, Welcome Aboard!! :action:

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

Getting lots of help are ya Dave? :D

Let's take this one thing at a time...

Put in a new battery and charge it with a charger before use.
You say you replaced the alternator with another stock Honda alt.
You also say the main fuse has been replaced with something else but you don't say what it was replaced with. Sometimes the replacements are better, sometimes they are worse.
Do you have a voltmeter on the bike? If not I would suggest that. It is always good to have and particularly when you are having problems like these.
That is one of the reasons I designed the SmartLight with battery monitor.
Even if you don't have a voltmeter on the bike, we can still tell many things with a hand held voltmeter and those can be really cheap.

Also how much add-on crap has the previous owner added to the bike? We may need to cut all that free until this gets diagnosed.

Let me know where you are on this and maybe we can work through it.

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
imported post

many thanks rudy

the problem is i live 100 miles away from my bike i should be moving in the next couple of weeks and i know nothing about bikes or electics,my brothers going to look at it for me when he gets time.
sincere thanks for your kind help i will keep in touch and if i get the problem sorted i will let everyone who has been kind enough to offer help know what was wrong.

AS REGARDS THE WIRING OUT OF THE MAIN FUSE ALL THEY DID WASWHERE THE STRIP FUSE IS SCREWED ON AT THE RIGHT OF THE BATTERY THEY HAVE JUST PUT A WIRE FROM ONE TERMINAL TO ANOTHER.

kindest regards dave

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

dave d wrote:
many thanks rudy

the problem is i live 100 miles away from my bike i should be moving in the next couple of weeks and i know nothing about bikes or electics,my brothers going to look at it for me when he gets time.
sincere thanks for your kind help i will keep in touch and if i get the problem sorted i will let everyone who has been kind enough to offer help know what was wrong.

AS REGARDS THE WIRING OUT OF THE MAIN FUSE ALL THEY DID WASWHERE THE STRIP FUSE IS SCREWED ON AT THE RIGHT OF THE BATTERY THEY HAVE JUST PUT A WIRE FROM ONE TERMINAL TO ANOTHER.

kindest regards dave
Yeow on the wire bridge in the fuse holder.
I would wait until you get moved near the bike and then let's get into it.
You will be back and forth on it many times to get it properly diagnosed and resolved.
Nice to have your brother available too.

·
Probationary
4,535 Posts
imported post

BIG WELCOME and Hope to hear a lot from you on this great site. :clapper:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.