Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

hi

i purchased this wing 2months ago and havent been able to use it.

the first time i tried to use it i was at the lights on idle an it stopped we got it home by fitting a battery pack to it,that just got me home.

i fitted a new battery and went out again same problem.

i checked the battery it was discharging and after a couple of minutes the bike stopped,i recharged it went out on it and drove it hard it was ok till i stopped at lights on idle it stopped again,the bike is us speck with all the light on but its been ok for 20 years.

had alternater checked was blown so i fitted new one genuine honda,checked it was charging ok all running lights were very bright went out on it got about a mile again on idle it cut out i checked lights were dim battery was flat again.

when i went out on it the last time i noticed that the speedo was not working prior to this it was ok.

final thing i must add is that the previous owner has had the main fuse hardwired out,i have ordered a new fuse.

PLEASE PLEASE HELP,

KINDEST REGARDS DAVE

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
imported post

Bummer Dave,

But don't let this bad experience put you off the wing.

You need somebody with a multimeter to come over and tesat some things for you.

I would first be concerned on why the PO bypassed the dogbone fuse.
I believe that's the one you referred to when you said he hardwired it.

You have a draw somewhere that is larger than normal.

By normal, I mean the bike does draw some currant just sitting there.

The Clock and the radio keeping the stations draw a bit of electricity.

BUT, Even without a meter you can do some stuff to test whats happening.

First if you can grab a 12Volt bulb, Any type will do but single filament is best.

Either solder a wire to the electrode at bottom and a wire to the copper side of bulb.

or get the socket bulb is normally plugged into.

Now you can see the draw by putting this bulb between the battery and the battery connection. You should see draw from either post Positive or negative. And the amount of draw will show in how bright the bulb becomes.

I have one made up on the tool board I have used for years but mine is a 24 Volt Bulb and that may make a difference in bulb brightness. ( May be better)

Anyway, With a meter or the bulb between battery and the cable you can now start pulling fuses on the other side of bike.

Hopefully, You will see your draw disappear when you pull the right fuse.
And the fuse number will tell you what is drawing electricity on your bike.

Hope this works for you. IF not, There is a whole bunch of other things you need to poke into to resolve this problem.

One note though.

The Goldwing needs a fully charged battery to even work right.
If the batter is not at the top of condition, The lights work fine the horn blows and you think everything is great but the beast still wont start right.

That's just something we all learn to live with.

Good Luck to you and hope somebody close to you can give you a hand.

Mohawk

·
Premium Member
5,405 Posts
imported post

Unless we are missing something very obvious it would appear that there is a fault somewhere in the wiring harness or a device.

Trouble shooting is not difficult but it requires a methodical, time consuming approach and can necessitate the removal of a lot of fairings. An inexpensive multimeter and a few hand toolsare all that is usually needed.

One concern is that the bypassed fuse may have alloweda heavy current to make a small problem into a bigger one by frying wires.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.