Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

61 - 67 of 67 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,121 Posts
Any fuel injected gasoline engine that sits for 20 years has gummed up injectors. You can bet on it. Do you have the ability to clean the injectors? Is the screen at the bottom of the gas tank clean and do you know duel flows through it freely? Have you checked fuel flow and pressure from the fuel pump?
It can be counter intuitive when you say the bike is running rich. It is common to run so lean the cylinder/s will not fire but just pump the raw fuel in to the exhaust. That will stink and burn your eyes pretty good.
When you say it backfires, does it cough back through the intake? That is a lean indication. A backfire out the exhaust during sudden acceleration is also an indicator of a lean condition.
Most diesel fuel shops have the ability to do a really good clean on injectors if you can not "jimmy up" your own cleaning system. If it were me I would seriously consider this option. Even if the injectors are not the root cause it is a sure thing they needed to be clraned anyway. Also be ure the flow of fuel going in to your cleaned injectors will be fresh and clean immediately when reinstalling.

·
Premium Member
6,121 Posts
What Dennis says about the clutch is correct. Unlike a cable as the clutch wears the fluid fills the void that would otherwise exist. The clutch wears and the fluid keeps "adjusting" all by itself with a hydraulic clutch. They feel the same new as half worn with no adjustment even possible. The only way you can tell if it slips is the engine RPM's rise and the sbkes speed doesn't change. Better known as the engine RPM flares. :)

Clarification: The above analogy is not completely accurate but used for ease of understanding. The amount of fluid in the slave is actually decreased as the clutch wears.

·
Administrator
58,735 Posts
Try some Sea Foam, 4 oz in the oil:
need to run that for as long as you can put up with it, the usual recommendation is 100+ miles.
that dissolves the varnish and will help the clutch work again.

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
I guess I was impatient, the bike started tonight and ran beautifully. The seafoam did the trick. I think the clutch will work itself back to normal with some riding. Thanks to everyone who took time to help me with this adventure!!! Happy motoring!

·
Registered
646 Posts
Might want to rebuild the clutch slave cylinder if it has never been done. Unless you and others have changed the clutch fluid religiously, bet there is a lot of gunk in there. Here's some pics of what you might see - pics are from '85 LTDs.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,285 Posts
Might want to rebuild the clutch slave cylinder if it has never been done. Unless you and others have changed the clutch fluid religiously, bet there is a lot of gunk in there. Here's some pics of what you might see - pics are from '85 LTDs.
Yep, if that slave cylinder has not been cleaned (which is very likely), it will look very much like those pictures. I cleaned up the clutch slave cylinder on my 1500 Goldwing last fall and that is what it looked like also.

61 - 67 of 67 Posts