Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Well , I was on my way to the Davis Rally and I noticed my el cheapo voly meter was only showing about 10-11.1 volts. As I was slowing down I hit the kill switch put it back in the on position and tried the starter button it would not turn the engine over at all. Popped the clutch to restart it and headed for home. Bike ran great the whole way (about 35-40 miles). Now I need to determine ifthe stator is not charging or if the battery is dead. Did a search and read the testing methods so I am good to go there. Was wondering if the battery was the culprit and the stator was good would the volt meter still show low? The volt meter is just an el cheapo that plugs into the lighter receptical to give me a heads up if there is a charging problem. (it did its job) I don't expect it to give me an exact readout. I am sure hoping the stator is still good. I had done the hard wiring as soon as I got the bike. Thanks, Randy

·
Premium Member
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
imported post

Sad,sad news. Charged the battery and the charger tested the battery, it seems ok. Took afull charge and put it back in the bike. Ran the bike, took the + side cable off as it was running. Showed only 3 - 4 volts as the bike was running at 4000rpm. Decided I had to pull the stator wires apart. Ran the bike and checked between the wires 17 volts, 17 volts and about 35 volts. Ohmed it out and0 ohms between all the wires and0 ohms from all the wires to ground. I think my riding days are done for the season. I know about the car alternator but where that is supposed to mount there is a large canistor of some kind with wires and a vacum line from one of the carbs. It might be for the markland cruise control the PO has on the bike. Not sure where I could remount it. I am really sick to my stomach. If I am doing something wrong here feel free to chime in and point me in the right direction. I only hope I am doing something wrong and it really isn't the stator. It ran fine when I put it away and when I next started it this. What a b---h.

·
Premium Member
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
imported post

Couldn't believe the readings so went out and did them again. Volts were about the same. 17, 24 and 35 volts. 0 ohms between the wires and 4 ohms from wires to ground (- post on battery). Does this mean what I think it does?

·
Premium Member
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
imported post

I had checked the precious posts and tried to follow the posted guidelines. The meter I used was a snap-on digital meter that automatically sets itself (how I don't know) so I can't set it manually to redo the check. Might as well go buy one for myself and redo the tests. I was confused by the readings also and that is why I was posting the readings. Will get the meter yet today and retry the checks. Thanks everyone. Randy

·
Premium Member
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
imported post

Well I wentand purchased a digital multimeter and redid the tests. With the meter set at it lowest ohm setting (200) the resistance read about.7 on every leg triple checked (this is with the key off, correct?) Voltage readbetween 18 on one leg to 28 on the highest leg. Ohm reading wires to ground were .9, .7, .6 again set on the 200 (lowest scale). Does this sound like I am doing it right? I am a real idiot when it comes to electrical as you can tell. I did get rid of my previous solder joints and measured at the original yellow wires in case there was a bad solder joint.

·
Premium Member
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
imported post

Twisty,

Yes sir, they were cut apart for the test. Iwas just making reference to getting back to good wires to do the test since I maybe didn't do a good soldering job. I really do appreciate your patience and persistance in helping me get this sorted out. I was afraid it was the stator but a guy can always hope. I was surprised it happened just sitting or maybe I didn't notice it the last time I rode it. I was taking my wife out for dinner the last time I rode it and we were listening to some good music, had a nice dinner and a nice ride home. Looks like that is over for now. Not sure what I am going to do now. As much problems as I have doing the simple things you guys help me with I seriously doubt I could pull an engine and put it back in. Don't really know anyone around who has that ability either. Don't know if it is worth paying a dealer to do it. It only has 32500 miles on it and the paint is in really good shape. Has alot of extra chrome but no extra lights (I had taken the light bar off that goes around the back of the bike just for this very reason - didn't want to hurt the stator.) What to do oh what to do. Guess I will sleep on it and decide later. I really do appreciate all of the help. Randy

·
Premium Member
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
imported post

Rod, I will check for a blown fuse and I was checking AC and continuity. Just for a reference would you mind sharing how much you paid to have a stator put in your bike? Thanks for your concern. Randy

·
Premium Member
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
imported post

My cruiwse is right on after a little bit of time. Set it and it loses about 2 - 3 mph then slowly comes up to where I set it and it holds right there for the most part, might lose1 - 2 mph going up a hill until it catches up. Is a little slow to respond but I am comparing it to an 01 Aurora.

·
Premium Member
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
imported post

Well I just drowned my sorrow with 2, count them 2, frozen snicker bars. Don't feel any better but at least I had something good today.

Twisty, the connectors were not that bad and it ran for the last 2 -3 months with no problems. I changed oil 3 times in the last 3000 miles just to make sure I got any junk out of the engine in case the PO did not do a good job of changing oil although I have no reason to suspect this. It is just something I do when I get a used vehicle. Figure it can't hurt and it isn't all that expensive considering. I know that can't reverse previous damage but I figured it would prevent future problems. I was looking at bikes on ebay and noticed a bike in Il. Only preapproved bidders allowed. Noticed that a number of times but usually for a yellow newer GW. I think I smell a skunk here, anyone else notice this. Randy

·
Premium Member
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
imported post

I agree and that is exactly what I did last winter. Bought the bike last fall and the last thing I did was change the oil and then store it with a battery minder on it so I didn't have to start it. Well no use crying over spilt milk or a trashed stator. Doesn't make my stomach feel better and it isn't getting me any closer to riding again. Wife is in Vermont and she called a little while ago, told her the bad news. Not sure who feels worse, I thought she was going to cry when I told her we were basically through riding for awhile unless a miracle happens. I am a realist so don't expect a miracle.

·
Premium Member
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
imported post

Exavid, purchased a digital vom yesterday and redid the tests, not encouraging. I am going to resolder the wires and take the bike up to a gentleman who used to run a Honda shop here and he is going to recheck my checking and put in his known good rectifier and then check again. If it is the stator as is suspected he will shoot me a quote on fixing. I feel I am exceeding my level of ability on an engine pull and I don't know where to relocate the cruise control to make room for the car alt. Any futher suggestions will galdly be accepted. I really like the bike and it is low mileage and I haven't really had any other problems so I am leaning towards fixing it up. Looks great and runs great other than the low vlotage now. Wish I had more confidence and knowledge (tools also) to fix it myself.Son starting college and daughter talking about marriage. Just shoot me and put me out of my misery. LOL

·
Premium Member
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
imported post

Exavid, that is why I commented on it. I was looking for a new bike and ran across that item. Wendell, I really appreciate the pep talk. My next door neighbor came over after work and said don't sweat it, should be a piece of cake. He said he would help me and he is a pretty fair mechanic. His only worry he said was the drive shaft. If we decide to go this way I am sure I will be on here for some hand holding and instructions. I have a clymer manual and metric tools and what I don't have he said he had. He has a motorcycle lift he borrowed from a friend when he built a Harley Heritage Special that had been wrecked in the back end. Didn't require and motor work though. Do you need a lift for what I am possibly going to attempt? I hope it goes smoothly and maybe I can get it done in time to ride yet this fall for the great colors along the Mississippi River.

·
Premium Member
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
imported post

Exavid, yes sir that is what I was talking about (stator). Hope like h e double hockey sticks I am not biting off more than I can chew if I try to fix the stator myself (with the help of my neighbor of course). Randy

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.