Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
imported post

My cruiwse is right on after a little bit of time. Set it and it loses about 2 - 3 mph then slowly comes up to where I set it and it holds right there for the most part, might lose1 - 2 mph going up a hill until it catches up. Is a little slow to respond but I am comparing it to an 01 Aurora.

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

Rod wrote:
Hi I'm just reading of your plight As the ex prez said "I feel your pain" only I really do. I just finished paying for a new stator installed.....OucH anyway I read you had a cruise control installed and in reading in thisgreat site somewhere Isaw that a blownfuse on a speed control had caused his bike from charging....... ( you hope )... And If I'm not mistaken the stator puts out approx 50 volts AC on all three prongs of the dreaded yellow plug ( I could be wrong ) so you should not be checking for DC..........again there's plenty o people here can tell you much more than me...But check that fuse---Rod :cooldj: best of luck inyour future
Rod, he is testing the generatorstator disconnected from EVERYTHING on the bike so with it showing low (standing alone) the problem emanates from within the generator itself. Not sure howthe cruise fuse could effect the charging but even if true the generator isn't working good enough to send power even that far..

It's possible that cruise fuse could also power the voltmeter on those models so maybe that is where that fuse comes into play..

Twisty

·
Premium Member
289 Posts
imported post

I paid $1550 for the stator, installation , and a voltage regulator...........I was told by two or three people that know (one a Honda mech. )to make sure to get new voltage regulator. I was going to do it myself but a mechannic friend had done it before and I had my hands full with my 1100 and bad wireing.......... I've been told it can cost upto$1800 so shop around...... And change your oil more frequently I'm told the acids in the oil eat at the coating on the stator...And finally check the yellow wires to ground if any go to ground get out your wallet. Rod :gunhead:

·
Premium Member
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
imported post

Well I just drowned my sorrow with 2, count them 2, frozen snicker bars. Don't feel any better but at least I had something good today.

Twisty, the connectors were not that bad and it ran for the last 2 -3 months with no problems. I changed oil 3 times in the last 3000 miles just to make sure I got any junk out of the engine in case the PO did not do a good job of changing oil although I have no reason to suspect this. It is just something I do when I get a used vehicle. Figure it can't hurt and it isn't all that expensive considering. I know that can't reverse previous damage but I figured it would prevent future problems. I was looking at bikes on ebay and noticed a bike in Il. Only preapproved bidders allowed. Noticed that a number of times but usually for a yellow newer GW. I think I smell a skunk here, anyone else notice this. Randy

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

hockeydad33 wrote:
Well I just drowned my sorrow with 2, count them 2, frozen snicker bars. Don't feel any better but at least I had something good today.

Twisty, the connectors were not that bad and it ran for the last 2 -3 months with no problems. I changed oil 3 times in the last 3000 miles just to make sure I got any junk out of the engine in case the PO did not do a good job of changing oil although I have no reason to suspect this. It is just something I do when I get a used vehicle. Figure it can't hurt and it isn't all that expensive considering. I know that can't reverse previous damage but I figured it would prevent future problems. I was looking at bikes on ebay and noticed a bike in Il. Only preapproved bidders allowed. Noticed that a number of times but usually for a yellow newer GW. I think I smell a skunk here, anyone else notice this. Randy
Randy, I would think that any oil related stator damage was probably caused by storing all winter with acidic oil in the engine (not changed before storing).. On my personal bikes (not just the Honda) I ride the bike prior to storage, then while still hot, drain the oil & replace the filter, then pull the spark plugs & crank it until I see oil pressure (I do NOT start it again until spring).. I like to store with fresh oil that hasn't been run. I also NEVER start a bike during the winter as all that does is makes massive amounts of acid in the oil..

Twisty

·
Premium Member
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
imported post

I agree and that is exactly what I did last winter. Bought the bike last fall and the last thing I did was change the oil and then store it with a battery minder on it so I didn't have to start it. Well no use crying over spilt milk or a trashed stator. Doesn't make my stomach feel better and it isn't getting me any closer to riding again. Wife is in Vermont and she called a little while ago, told her the bad news. Not sure who feels worse, I thought she was going to cry when I told her we were basically through riding for awhile unless a miracle happens. I am a realist so don't expect a miracle.

·
Premium Member
289 Posts
imported post

I read some where in these hallowed pages that someone' bike wouldn't charge due to a blown fuse in a cruse control but I think it was an 1800 if what's left of my mind serves me............ But like I said I don't know how I'm only the messanger of hope.................. Ya right! best o luck again over and out Rod :cooldj: ( I think i hear the voices)

·
Premium Member
4,473 Posts
imported post

twisty wrote:
hockeydad33 wrote:
Twisty,

Yes sir, they were cut apart for the test. Iwas just making reference to getting back to good wires to do the test since I maybe didn't do a good soldering job. I really do appreciate your patience and persistance in helping me get this sorted out. I was afraid it was the stator but a guy can always hope. I was surprised it happened just sitting or maybe I didn't notice it the last time I rode it. I was taking my wife out for dinner the last time I rode it and we were listening to some good music, had a nice dinner and a nice ride home. Looks like that is over for now. Not sure what I am going to do now. As much problems as I have doing the simple things you guys help me with I seriously doubt I could pull an engine and put it back in. Don't really know anyone around who has that ability either. Don't know if it is worth paying a dealer to do it. It only has 32500 miles on it and the paint is in really good shape. Has alot of extra chrome but no extra lights (I had taken the light bar off that goes around the back of the bike just for this very reason - didn't want to hurt the stator.) What to do oh what to do. Guess I will sleep on it and decide later. I really do appreciate all of the help. Randy
Randy, in your case with that low mileage on the bike your stator was probably damaged either by that 3 wire plug melting & allowing the inner terminals to short together, OR if that area never got that bad probably due to old age or acid in the engine oil eating the stator wire coating away. (the original stators were none too insulated so dirty oil can damage the stator coating).. Adding extra lights usually doesn'tdamage the stator but can lead to depleted batteries.

If you still want to ride, it sounds like your stator still has a little output so maybe add a second battery in one of the side bags just wired to the starter & ign coils & run the remainder on the main battery. With charging the battery's between uses it might allow for some long rides without any problems.

Pulling that engine isn't a real big deal but you must have a little mechanical experience & the correct tools.. Probably the biggest thing you will face is where everything goes back on if it's apart for a while.

You could add an external alternator but in my estimation that is as much or more work than pulling the engine..

Twisty
Hey Twisty,
when I took my GL1100 out and apart, I took pictures with a digital camera. Putting it back together wasn't too bad. With the manual and the pics I didn't have any leftover pieces!

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

hockeydad33 wrote:
I had checked the precious posts and tried to follow the posted guidelines. The meter I used was a snap-on digital meter that automatically sets itself (how I don't know) so I can't set it manually to redo the check. Might as well go buy one for myself and redo the tests. I was confused by the readings also and that is why I was posting the readings. Will get the meter yet today and retry the checks. Thanks everyone. Randy
I own Triplett and Fluke meters but carry a Harbor Freight digital VOM that I bought for five or six bucks. I'd recommend for the price vs performance, it's a good deal if you don't have a VOM of your own.

·
Premium Member
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
imported post

Exavid, purchased a digital vom yesterday and redid the tests, not encouraging. I am going to resolder the wires and take the bike up to a gentleman who used to run a Honda shop here and he is going to recheck my checking and put in his known good rectifier and then check again. If it is the stator as is suspected he will shoot me a quote on fixing. I feel I am exceeding my level of ability on an engine pull and I don't know where to relocate the cruise control to make room for the car alt. Any futher suggestions will galdly be accepted. I really like the bike and it is low mileage and I haven't really had any other problems so I am leaning towards fixing it up. Looks great and runs great other than the low vlotage now. Wish I had more confidence and knowledge (tools also) to fix it myself.Son starting college and daughter talking about marriage. Just shoot me and put me out of my misery. LOL

·
Premium Member
400 Posts
imported post

Randy, another way of looking at this is you have already said that the bike may have to be parked the rest of the riding season. So why not delve into this yourself. When I replaced mine, I was in an all fired hurry to get it doneand it was aggrevating. Since you would not have the pressure to get it replaced quickly, take your time, take good photos/video for quick reference and get a good manual.Have a good floor jack and metric wrench/socket on hand and go to it. I'm sure anyquestions you may have can be answered here. Just thought a little pep talk:action::action::action::action::action:might get you set! Either way, Good Luck!

·
Premium Member
4,040 Posts
imported post

I would change to the car alt in a heartbeat if my stator went out. I already have bought or made all the parts required and the only thing that stopped me from doing it was that I found where the PO had screwed up when he tried to repair problem on his own.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

hockeydad33 wrote:
I was looking at bikes on ebay and noticed a bike in Il. Only preapproved bidders allowed. Noticed that a number of times but usually for a yellow newer GW. I think I smell a skunk here, anyone else notice this. Randy
All the preapproved bidder type auctions I've seen on eBay are scams. They usually go along with an amazing Buy-it-now price too. Sadly there just isn't any free lunch!

·
Premium Member
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
imported post

Exavid, that is why I commented on it. I was looking for a new bike and ran across that item. Wendell, I really appreciate the pep talk. My next door neighbor came over after work and said don't sweat it, should be a piece of cake. He said he would help me and he is a pretty fair mechanic. His only worry he said was the drive shaft. If we decide to go this way I am sure I will be on here for some hand holding and instructions. I have a clymer manual and metric tools and what I don't have he said he had. He has a motorcycle lift he borrowed from a friend when he built a Harley Heritage Special that had been wrecked in the back end. Didn't require and motor work though. Do you need a lift for what I am possibly going to attempt? I hope it goes smoothly and maybe I can get it done in time to ride yet this fall for the great colors along the Mississippi River.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

hockeydad33 wrote:
Do you need a lift for what I am possibly going to attempt? I hope it goes smoothly and maybe I can get it done in time to ride yet this fall for the great colors along the Mississippi River.
If you're referring to changing the stator you don't need a bike jack for the job. A full sized bike lift would be nice but it can be done with the bike on the floor.

·
Premium Member
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
imported post

Exavid, yes sir that is what I was talking about (stator). Hope like h e double hockey sticks I am not biting off more than I can chew if I try to fix the stator myself (with the help of my neighbor of course). Randy

·
Premium Member
400 Posts
imported post

Randy, just put the bike on the center stand. I used my aluminum floor jack and came in on the right side of the bike. When the engine was ready to roll out, I lowered the jack handle to roll the engine to the left (with the jackrolling under the frame. Be sure to use a piece of wood (flat piece is best)and have agood handleon it and try to balance the block on the jack.I only brought it out far enough to allow the engine to rotate around (twisty's suggestion!) far enough to get to the stator cover. Remember that there is a wire harness on the front of the engine. I did not need to remove it since it was long enough to allow the roll out. BTW, make sure you take it easy when removing the cover. The gasket may tear. I would also replace the exhaust gasket where the rear pipes disconnect from the front pipes. Mine was all broken up.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.