Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

1984 Goldwing at idle reads 14.8 to 15.0 Drops down a little when rpm goes up. Ran stator check no wires grounded ; between each yellow wire has continuity At 3000 rpm stator reads 70 ac volts at each yellow wire Regulator test shows good but I still decided to buy a Ricks aftermarket regulator and now it shows 15.5 at isle. I had to hard wire all three wires at plug classic melt job! Any ideas why this won't start at 13 and increase to 14.5 at 3000 rpm with throttle.

·
Premium Member
2,523 Posts
imported post

Are you checking with a handheld meter or do you have a meter installed o the bike? Assuming the meter is working correctly and since you tried another voltage regulator, the only thing I can think of would be the feedback voltage to your regulator. I believe it's the black wire with the white stripe that is used to tell the voltage reg what voltage the battery is at. This wire usually is feed through the fuse box instead fo being wired to the battery. A low reading on this wire can cause the regulator t run at a higher level.

·
Premium Member
263 Posts
imported post

+1 for what "jw" said. I found that the ignition switch was causing a less than accurate battery voltage to the "regulator". Installed a relay controlled by the black and white wire from the ign. switch to run battery voltage straight to the regulator.

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Yes it is a fluke meter Thanks for idea I'll go to the fuse box from here this has me a little baffeled

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

I had 12.4 on these wires going from main battery fuse to reg they are red and white

·
Premium Member
2,523 Posts
imported post

The black wire with the white strip is the voltage regulator feedback wire. If it doesn't have enough voltage going to it the voltage regulator tries to keep up. Like wingsalor said, you want to take a relay and run a wire from the battery to the relay then from the relay to the black/white wire. You want to energize the relay with a switched voltage like the accessory connection on the fuse block. That way when the key is on the voltage regulator will be getting the feedback voltage feed to it directly from the battery. If the battery is good and you have good charging voltage you should see around 14.5 volts at 2500 rpm or more. Idle voltage should be down around 13.5. What does your battery show for voltage with the bike shut off?

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

about 12.8 to 13 volts with key off the minute it starts it goes right to 14.8 to 15 on idle

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
imported post

Jimijet wrote:
... I had to hard wire all three wires at plug classic melt job! ...
Which plug? The one by the battery up by the regulator itself? Both?

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.