Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

For some reason my 82 Aspen will not charge above 11.5 and I need at least 13 to crank. Is their a way to increase the charge? I can disconnect the battery and still get a good ride so I know it's doing something just not enough. Would love to leave the jumper cables at home.

·
Administrator
26,566 Posts
imported post

There is a connector to the front of the battery with 3 yellow wires. Check it to see if the connector is burned out. This is the most common problem with the charging system on the older wings. If it is burned up cut out the connector and solder the wires together and use heat shrink tubing to insulate the solder joints. It is a very bad idea to run the engine with the battery disconnected. If the connector was not burned out before it is guaranteed to be now and you are lucky if it didn't damage something else.

·
Premium Member
182 Posts
imported post

My 1100 was doing the same thing and my stator had quit charging like it is supose to. I had to replace mine. Not a bad job. It took me about eight hours. Now I get 14.4 volts at the battery with the engine running at idle and 14.3 volts at 3000 rpm. Before 11.5 at all rpm's. Worth checking. Dwight

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
imported post

I agre with Davogd430. Try this first. Also, If they are not any burnt, I would still go ahead and do what he suggested reguardless.

Nightrider1

Davogd430 wrote:
There is a connector to the front of the battery with 3 yellow wires. Check it to see if the connector is burned out. This is the most common problem with the charging system on the older wings. If it is burned up cut out the connector and solder the wires together and use heat shrink tubing to insulate the solder joints. It is a very bad idea to run the engine with the battery disconnected. If the connector was not burned out before it is guaranteed to be now and you are lucky if it didn't damage something else.

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
imported post

Trickle charge the battery, pull port side side
cover off, start motorcycle disconnect plug(three yellow wires) going to stator, hook one lead of volt meter
to ground(frame), stick probe from other lead into output
coming from stator recording voltages, I think maybe
if I remember the out put volts range 40 to 70,
all three phases should measure this, if two measure
40 and the third 13 volts then you probably need
a new stator, my sator had one leg shorted to ground
the impedances of the coil allow some voltage and
current to still get through, I then turned the engine
off and looked at the resistance to ground in olms
and it was zero indicative of a dead short to ground,
the coil was burnt about half way of the windings.

·
Premium Member
590 Posts
imported post

nightstalker0352 wrote:
For some reason my 82 Aspen will not charge above 11.5 and I need at least 13 to crank. Is their a way to increase the charge? I can disconnect the battery and still get a good ride so I know it's doing something just not enough. Would love to leave the jumper cables at home.
I'm with the bad connector brigade as 11 volts indicates alternator is possibly working.

If you draw a triangle with the point at the top and then number them A, B, C. You should get exactly the same "AC" volts across any two wires - that is A to B, A to C and B to C. Any difference indicates a faulty alternator.

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
imported post

slightly of topic but I have just bought a 1100 goldwing with a siezed engine and got it out today to discover the fault was with the stator (which had just been replaced prior to it siezing), it appears they must not have tightened the main mounting bolt properly and it had vibrated loose and 'cut a hole' in the cover in the back of the housing and jammed tight. I havent seen that before

so a bit of advice don't skimp on the torque wrench!!

ATB
Rob

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.