Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I see that the wing had a new Rectifier , during the tear down I found this mess under the
Rubber cover..Go Here . I think I am going to solder all the connections that are just a couple wire around the battery box and tail lights. most connectors look ok on the front..

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,657 Posts
imported post

Yup, you got the right idea and the only recommended fix from our guys here.

Splice in more length if need be, but solder them good, and put heat shrink over it to seal out moisture.

Yellow goes to yellow :D

which one? don't matter ;)

·
Premium Member
3,344 Posts
imported post

you may also want to check the plug on the top of the solenoid, it to could be fried

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Yes the charging System.. my connectors on the other bike had the original rings on the battery hookup wires. when it broke from viberation 15 miles from home I thought the charging system was not working and the Battery had died in the middle of nowhere. It was just the battery negative wire.
Just pulling the boot off of the Gold Wing solonoid broke the wire at the ring..Here

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
imported post

If your 3 wire connector is that bad you also need to look at the conector that goes to the rectifier. That is next in line for the Stator wires and is also a failure place.

Any idea what that bracket over the top of the battery box is for??

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
imported post

Is it safe to use the red wireconnectors that you can crimp on your 3 yellow stator wires from both sides???
Thanks,
Nightrider1

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
imported post

Wiskerfish,
Do you have a pic of the rectifier? Is it the part that connects allof the wires on the left side of the engine? My enging is putting out 14.3 volts at 1500 rpms, and I must clean the Negative ground so the excess charging will not fry my stator or battery. Got a pic?
Thanks,
Nightrider1

Whiskerfish wrote:
If your 3 wire connector is that bad you also need to look at the conector that goes to the rectifier. That is next in line for the Stator wires and is also a failure place.

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Whiskerfish wrote:

The Bracket and one just like it on the other side is for the Driver Backrest.. missing some parts to clamp a bar into the u channel you see there..

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
imported post

Nightrider1 wrote:
Wiskerfish,
Do you have a pic of the rectifier? Is it the part that connects allof the wires on the left side of the engine? My enging is putting out 14.3 volts at 1500 rpms, and I must clean the Negative ground so the excess charging will not fry my stator or battery. Got a pic?
Thanks,
Nightrider1

Whiskerfish wrote:

The rectifier is mounted to the forward part of the battery box. It has the three yellow wires 2 green ( Ground) and 2 Red ( DC out) wires.

The regulator is mounted inside the LH Shelter area with the rest of the electronics. It is the only thing up there with cooling fins on it. It will have a yellow wire a black wire and a green wire. Again the green is the ground for the system. I do not believe it uses the ground through it's mount but I could be mistaken on that.

14.3 is not excessive if you are using a reliable meter. So long as it is no more than about 14.8 at 3 grand I would not worry about it.The red crimp connectors for the yellow wires is really marginal I think.They would be fine for a while until a bit of corrosion builds up then I suspect they would go the same way as the stock connector. I really advise soldering these if you can.

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

I have ordered a used wiring harness off Ebay. I will take the matching wire from it to remove the corrosion affected wires from my system in the battery area I have seen the corrosion run thru the entire wire.. this way I will have plenty length on the same colored wires.. I did this on a 750 Honda 78, 20 years ago and never had a problem.After 5 years never had to unsolder a Joint..things like the Headlight bulb connector was left alone. you loose lots of Amps thru bad and loose wires.. I will purchase a new +- Battery cables and solder new ends on them .. I am a believer in the Solder..

Hello Nightrider1 Welcome.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.