Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

My turn to ask an opinion

After all my stator /charging problems settled down I installed a digital voltmeter into the bke(86 Asp) to replace the crap hondaline in the right fairing pocket cover

Anyway I find at 3500-4000 rpm I am getting up to 15.1 vdc

at idle 13;6-13.8 vdc apply the brake lights and it drops to 13.4-13.6

I am now concerned about overcharging the battery or is this normal voltages??? Opinions please

well I went from no charge to this and if all I have to do is keep an eye on the battery levels great

Neil

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

ccsailor wrote:
My turn to ask an opinion

After all my stator /charging problems settled down I installed a digital voltmeter into the bke(86 Asp) to replace the crap hondaline in the right fairing pocket cover

Anyway I find at 3500-4000 rpm I am getting up to 15.1 vdc

at idle 13;6-13.8 vdc apply the brake lights and it drops to 13.4-13.6

I am now concerned about overcharging the battery or is this normal voltages??? Opinions please

well I went from no charge to this and if all I have to do is keep an eye on the battery levels great
Neil, I don't know what to tell you.Two of mythree 1200 manuals give a normal voltage range of 14-15 volts at 3000-4000 rpm's with a note that anything over 15 volts is borderline for regulator correct operation.

If it's any consolation, my 1200 puts out the exact same as yours & that is 15.1 volts at anything over 2800 rpm's. It's been that way since I redid the charging system connections & hard wired the complete charging system. I have a AGM (glass mat) battery & so far it's holding up fine (about 9,000 miles since charging system rework).

Twisty

·
Premium Member
4,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

yeh thats what my manuals say as well so I thought I'd ask the guru's

See what happens when you clean up all the connections as a side line to tracking down problems

Neil

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
imported post

Neil,
My '85 Aspy has stock stator hard wired including st the regulator. I have never seen it get above about 14.5 Volts.
At idle (1050 rpm) the battery will discharge with the brake lights on, below 12 volts sometimes.

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

johnmac wrote:
Neil,
My '85 Aspy has stock stator hard wired including st the regulator. I have never seen it get above about 14.5 Volts.
At idle (1050 rpm) the battery will discharge with the brake lights on, below 12 volts sometimes.
johnmac , where are you monitoring the voltage at (where is your voltmeter connected)?

Twisty

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
imported post

I stumbled onto this post while seeking solution to my 15.18 volts at 2000 rpm. I read another post that indicated the regulator reads the ignition voltage which in turn calls for it to charge. My voltage was ok (13.8) --- I was curious where the regulator gets its ground (case?) and I removed the 2 bolts that hold the regulator and found them to be corroded. After cleaning bolts and mating face of regulator, I am at 14.8 at 3000 rpm. I am guessing that the case ground was creating resistance and sensing less that 13.8 v . (When I measured the voltage '13.8' I had a test lead on the battery ground)

Ride Safe
John

·
Premium Member
2,824 Posts
imported post

A voltage regulated to 15 VDC or 15.xx VDC is considered normal for the high end. Crap, corrosion, dirt, scum and all kinds of things have differing electrical anomalies around a DC voltage. These dirty conditions can add or subtract a charge onto the system...best thing to do before panicking is to clean and make the system as new as possible. That means all wires, connections and devices should be cleaned and all foreign matter removed.

Make the electrical system as important as the motor and make it routine.

·
Premium Member
3,200 Posts
imported post

14.0 - 14.7 @ 3000 RPM's on my '84 Aspy with the stator connector removed and the dreaded 3 yellow wires soldered together.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.