Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow, the forum has changed a lot! I am not on here as often as I used to be, with work, getting remarried, and other adventures. The poor blue beast sits idly by waiting to be ridden more, but some maintenance issues have kept her sidelined.

My KLR has been the beast of burden this year, and we have gotten to know each other quite well. I am now confident that I can put that bike just about anywhere on any trail I wish to explore. This had led me to a new opportunity to chase a dream I never thought would come.....

I am now getting ready to send off my entry for a little race called the Alcan5000. It runs from Seattle, to the arctic circle on the dalton, and down to anchorage, with a good portion being unimproved roads. This is a huge deal for me, and something I never thought I would get to do. It happens in 2014, so I have some time, but I am going to need it to train. Nine days of hard riding and racing, and I cannot wait! This is a doorway to other dreams I have. My amazing wife is 100% behind me doing it, which means the world to me. My coworkers think I am insane, which makes me laugh. How many people get to chase a dream like this? I know, it is not the Dakar.......yet.......:cool:

Now I just need to train and raise the funds. The bike needs some navigational gear....anyone have a roadbook holder sitting around? And an ICO trip meter. The race entry fee is not huge, but it is going to be some work to get there. $2000 entry fee, then I figure a spare set of tires (dot legal, no spare rims) a few spare parts, and some new gear. Al in, I think I can do this for under $4000. Now I just need to get to work raising the money. I am going to sell some toys and work a side job. Any other suggestions? Also, any guys with enduro experience to help me with navigation and timing?

This is going to be AMAZING!! I cannot wait!

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
I assume you will need a support crew.
Wilf

·
Premium Member
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Actually, all the support and chase vehicles are included. You fix your own ride. Hotels every night included in the price. Kinda sweet.

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
For the bike (I also ride a KLR.....) if you haven't already.....

-- Doohicky Upgrade, for both Gen 1, II
-- Thermobob Upgrade, for both Gen 1, II
-- Metal Bash Plate, for both Gen 1, II
-- Rear Shock Upgrade, Moab
-- Front Shocks, Progressive

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
Whoops.... forgot a couple of items for the KLR....

-- "T mod" upgrade (on the clear plastic tube running down from the carb, cut it in two about 6-8" from the top, insert a fuel grade plastic T, and run another length of the same size tube forward under your gas tank... this way you won't drown the bike in a deep puddle).
-- Hard-wire around both your kickstand safety switch and clutch safety switch, bypass them....if you don't, they will seize, and you'll be dead in the mud....
-- Get a commercial headlight guard to protect the light from gravel and rocks, or get a piece of acrylic or polycarbonate, cut it to size and stick over the headlight with velcro.
-- You might also consider replacing all fairing screws with zip-ties... they won't vibrate out, and if you carry spares they're easy to replace if they break...

·
Premium Member
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cj, all that work has been done, with the addition of a seat concepts seat, brittania composites fairing. 705 kit with stage 2 head work, and a few other goodies. It is no average KLR, I have built it with a heavy emphasis on rally riding. At 6 foot with a 32" inseam I am on my toes on it. Bar risers and oversized pegs help for long days standing up, and an IMS tank gives me good fuel range. The bike is a monster. I need a better way to carry tools than a tube, and then figure out the road book holder.

·
Premium Member
8,242 Posts
I wish you the best of luck on this fantastic ride.

·
Premium Member
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Heater is doing great. We just found out we are having a little boy. I got the current boys a Honda 50 for Xmas too, so they are learning to ride soon too. Life is going great, and now getting to do this--- not quite the Dakar, but a start, right?

Anyone with some fab skills wanna help me make a nav tower for the road book on my bike.

·
Premium Member
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So my entry is now 100% official. I have plenty of time to train and maybe even drum up some small sponsors, who knows...

I think we came up with a team name too. Since we have another baby boy on the way, TJC racing no longer works (my current boys first initials), so I think I am going with S&S racing or S&S off road. (Seals & Sons)

Anyone good with graphic design to come up with a logo? UBarW.....? Maybe?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.