Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

ive been on several forums that have this.It really helps out when you need to talk to someone quick to solve an issue.i was wondering if this is somehting possible within this site structure?

·
Premium Member
418 Posts
imported post

With all due respect to everybody, I find that the minute you post anything here, "you can't shut the buggers up!". Would a chat room increase the verbosity?:D

·
Premium Member
7,190 Posts
imported post

We have Skype for actually talking to one another. I hadn't previously considered Chat because only a couple of members ever asked me about it, but it's definitely something we could install. I will definitely be considering new additions for the forum once we have moved to the new server in the coming days.

·
Premium Member
4,566 Posts
imported post

new83wing wrote:
ive been on several forums that have this.It really helps out when you need to talk to someone quick to solve an issue.i was wondering if this is somehting possible within this site structure?
There is Skype, MSN, Messenger, all available for instant chat

I have no objection to chat rooms in general, I use chat a lot,

but surely, if chat rooms were used to solve an issue ( and I presume you mean a technical/mechanical issue here), then the majority of members would not be able to benefit from the advice, or even chip in and give their own take on the issue :baffled:

Just my tuppence worth :waving:

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Have never visited a chat room, so I don't really know what one is, but I presume it is like skype messaging on a one to one or group basis.:baffled:

If it is, I think I would have to agree that it might defeat the object of open forum slightly in that it won't encourage everyone to participate and would be particularly detrimental to technical information sharing.

If I am wrong then fine, if it is just another good feature, then go for it, if it is possible and doesn't cause the Admin a huge headache to construct and monitor.

Probably best I stay out of any chat rooms, I think I prattle on here quite enough for everyone!!!!:shock::D

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
imported post

There is a chat feature on another forum I am on and it really doesnt get used that much.
I would also think it would reduce the amount of information that would be posted

·
Premium Member
3,775 Posts
imported post

I'd like to see one. I frequent chat rooms on some other sites & feel it let's me "get to know" folks a bit better. From my experience when someone asks for tech help or where to find/get something they are usually steered toward the the right place to find it. Whatever Steve decides is great with me though.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,167 Posts
imported post

This subject of a chat room has come up before. Usually about once a year.

In the previous occasions it was voted down by the users for fear it would cause posting of important technical fixes to drop off. Archiving our good repair hints just can't be replaced if the thoughts trail off into the dust of a bygone conversation in a chat room.

Just a personal thought... I have Skype, so that takes care of my needs in that regard.

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

ive been in a few predicaments where quick advice would have helped allot.Like when your working on something and it comes up un expected.You could jump in the room.or send a pm to someone thats monline to jump in the room.chat real quick and go back to work.i hate loading up skype,aol ect then have people start im ing me whn all i wanted was to have a question answered...lol...and i would still think people would post info.This would be a more spur of the moment helper

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

new83wing wrote:
ive been in a few predicaments where quick advice would have helped allot.Like when your working on something and it comes up un expected.You could jump in the room.or send a pm to someone thats monline to jump in the room.chat real quick and go back to work.i hate loading up skype,aol ect then have people start im ing me whn all i wanted was to have a question answered...lol...and i would still think people would post info.This would be a more spur of the moment helper
I have posted up a number of questions before, just in the forums and had very fast responses, so quick in fact that the grease hadn't dried on my fingers!!!

The skype is brilliant, not always 100% perfect voice connection, but usually adequate and I keep in touch with a good few friends and family via this medium.

Free and International, it allows me to talk with people in America and NZ, in fact with anyone around the world that can put up with listening to me!!!!!:shock::cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Thats cool,was just putting it out there,ive used it several times on the dakota durango forums im part of and worked out prety good.

·
Premium Member
1985 GL1200 Limited Edition
3,485 Posts
imported post

tricky wrote:
There is a chat feature on another forum I am on and it really doesnt get used that much.
I would also think it would reduce the amount of information that would be posted
It does by a Hardcore few Tricky!! :cool::action::action:

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
imported post

I also agree with "wannabe" that we may miss out on the technical information and varied experiences that this forum provides. It's always interesting to see how people have different approaches to solve problems and have come up with money saving / time saving ideas and short cuts. We may miss out on that in a chat room.

There are other sections on this forum where people can chat about all other topics already.

(My two cents worth...well spent I hope.)

·
Premium Member
2,169 Posts
imported post

tanygaer wrote:
wannabe wrote:
I have no objection to chat rooms in general, I use chat a lot,
typical woman.. :dude:
You have no idea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:cheeky1::cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
imported post

I used to be on an old car forum, and they used to have 'chat' only on Friday evenings. This way everyone would still keep posting on the forum through the week, so all could benefit, and still get a chance for a weekly get-together for chat. It worked out real nice. Kinda made the members closer.

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
imported post

I want them to install the "transporter" for Friday. You know, press the button and show up in a pub in IRELAND to discuss Riding and such - press it again and show up in a pub in the Isles -maybe watch a ton-up race - press it again and visit Wingers in Vancouver - when we gettin that feature??? LOL :cool::action:

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
imported post

Blackdog wrote:
I want them to install the "transporter" for Friday. You know, press the button and show up in a pub in IRELAND to discuss Riding and such - press it again and show up in a pub in the Isles -maybe watch a ton-up race - press it again and visit Wingers in Vancouver - when we gettin that feature??? LOL :cool::action:
That sounds even better. :cheeky1:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.