Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Administrator
24,334 Posts
at the top of the Main Forums page.....

for now, I think this is enough, as it will be present at the top of the page, and easy to access. it allows us to immediately see what is going on, even if you are not using it.

https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/
The only way I can find it is through that link, it doesn't show up on the home page for me.
Never mind, it finally did show up after I tried different skins.

·
Administrator
57,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
any one think we might want to have a specific to look and talk?
us retired folks can be around most of the day, but you wage earners have funny shifts :rofl:

·
Administrator
24,334 Posts
likewise, only able to find chat from link. no clickbox
Click on the "forums" tab. I don't know why there can't be a tab visible from any page. Nobody is going to use it if they can't find it.

·
Administrator
57,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We can have it at the top of each page, but it will take up about 20% of the screen all the time. Unless you purposely click the Box to make it small, and when that happens, you won't see the activity.

the current version is less than ideal, but at least it is there for now.
I have asked for improvements, one step at a time.

·
Administrator
24,334 Posts
We can have it at the top of each page, but it will take up about 20% of the screen all the time. Unless you purposely click the Box to make it small, and when that happens, you won't see the activity.

the current version is less than ideal, but at least it is there for now.
I have asked for improvements, one step at a time.
I wouldn't want the chatroom visible on each page, just the tab to get to it so people can find it.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I can't type fast enough to keep up in a chat room. By the time I answer someone five others have beat me and my answer no longer makes sense.

·
Administrator
24,334 Posts
Okay,
I will ask that it be part of the Quick Links menu.
I guess that will enable the people who know where to look to be able to find it.

·
Premium Member
1,282 Posts
Why not make it a forum along with all the others and call it Chatroom forum. Wouldn't take up much space and would be easy for people to see and click. Once inside the forum it could take up the entire page making it easier to read and to keep up with the conversation.

·
Administrator
57,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Why not make it a forum along with all the others and call it Chatroom forum. Wouldn't take up much space and would be easy for people to see and click. Once inside the forum it could take up the entire page making it easier to read and to keep up with the conversation.
good question, I will ask to see if that can be done.

·
Administrator
57,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The only thing I see is light theme and dark theme on my phone, can't see it from either
Okay,
it is just NOT accessible from a Cellphone.

I tried everything I could think of to make it work, even going to "Full Version" making the cellphone emulate a laptop PC, and it still will not work.

Sorry, I will talk with the IT folks and see what can be done, but this is a Plugin Module that they found that works with this forum software, and I don't think it has very many features for them to tweak.

·
Premium Member
3,607 Posts
Does anyone remember what program was used for the old chatroom? It was much easier accessible and user friendly.

·
Administrator
57,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Does anyone remember what program was used for the old chatroom? It was much easier accessible and user friendly.
That does not help Michelle,

this forum is now running on vBulletin software, and has no compatibility to what we had before, which was a hand written software that a friend of Steve Saunders wrote and maintained for us.

When the forum was sold, they maintained that software for about a year, while their programmers designed new "skins" for vBulletin so that it "looks the same, works the same" but is not the same underneath the "hood".

The fact that it still looks the same and works the same, is because Steve Saunders had them sign a contract that they would not change the look and feel, or how it works.

VerticalScope has done a very good job of honoring Steve's request, and when I ask for new features to be added, they try really hard to get it done.

I am talking to them about improving how the Chatroom/Chatbox works.
it takes time to get answers back, a lot goes on behind the scenes of maintaining forums.

·
Premium Member
3,607 Posts
Thanks for the explanation John.

That does not help Michelle,

this forum is now running on vBulletin software, and has no compatibility to what we had before, which was a hand written software that a friend of Steve Saunders wrote and maintained for us.

When the forum was sold, they maintained that software for about a year, while their programmers designed new "skins" for vBulletin so that it "looks the same, works the same" but is not the same underneath the "hood".

The fact that it still looks the same and works the same, is because Steve Saunders had them sign a contract that they would not change the look and feel, or how it works.

VerticalScope has done a very good job of honoring Steve's request, and when I ask for new features to be added, they try really hard to get it done.

I am talking to them about improving how the Chatroom/Chatbox works.
it takes time to get answers back, a lot goes on behind the scenes of maintaining forums.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts