Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

finally started :clapper:! now when idling a little chatter?? get up tp 1000prms this goes away. And when starting out 1st gear chatters louder and once your going noise is not as bad??this bike sat for 16months wiring was fryed.Running now just a little ruff??

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
imported post

I am no expert, but the primary chain can cause that rattle at low RPM's. The fact that it is going away at high RPM's is a good sign. A tune up including a carb sync will help considerably. But, the rattle is pretty normal. Mine does it but the tune up helped to minimize it.

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
imported post

I dont know what you did to repair the bike, so forgive the dumb question. Is the oil level correct?, my 1200 did the same if she lost a little oil.

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

oil level is good.----its aslight knock as the rpms increase the noise decreases--1st gear pop clutch and knock hit second and knock as i increaserpms noise goes away..---also a question about neutral light and gear selection visual in ---neutral light on and a N--shift to 1st --neutal light still on and N--let out clutch and and neutral light off and 1 gear showing??? is this right ??

·
Premium Member
2,970 Posts
imported post

Carb synch should clear that up.
Well that and some miles on the clutch.

Synch the carbs and ride it for a few hundred miles.

Its been sitting so you may also slip while trying to flip teh trhottle from a slow pace to WOT.

Both of mine would revv high only to slow down as the clutch slowly grabbed.
My 100 was cured with the synch and miles and the 1200 stopped the 1st gear chatter with seafoam in the crankcase to clean it up.

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
imported post

I think all the GLs have that knock. Mine does it too. I am not sure what it is. i want to say there is a forum on the subject and they say it happens and it's not a big deal as long as it goes away at higher RPMs.

As far a the N light. There is a sensor that is bad. Doesn't hurt anything. More anoying than anything.

·
Premium Member
987 Posts
imported post

you can make these rings pretty quiet with clean 15-40 Rotella T and clean carbs that are in sync. Check plugs often when first starting with and old sitting bike, they may need changing more often than normal. Poor Timing can also make it rattle more.

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Okay bike running,this chatter noise or knock? looked down and a cast cover to alternator and bolt had come out hanging there.So i reinstalled bolt,tried tightening bolt felt snug and then something turned internally.Started bike sounded good but my question would be how do i secure the bolt and did this hurt anything by coming out??And how does bolt come loose,i guess p/o had silconed the cast cap on looks like threads are bad?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.