Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I just bought a headset for my 3/4 helmet. I did my usual research (found the cheapest) and decided on trying the Chatterbox retailing for $78. It was delivered promptly, installed easily with a clip mounted microphone so it can be removed if wanted to put on a different helmet.

On the road they work well, I found the audio quality good when listening to my favorite Seattle FM station, KING classical, intercom side tone sounded good with very little wind noise at 75mph. I got good reports on the CB for transmit quality. They work well enough that I'll order another set soon for the woman who hangs around here. That way I can give her orders without straining my voice... yeah sure!

·
Premium Member
226 Posts
imported post

Budegan wrote:
That's great Paul. I wondered how they compared to the JM's. I bought the new Edsets to replace my ageing JMs.

IMHO, the J&M's are much better than the Chatterbox. As they say, "you get what you pay for". We had the Chatterbox with our first GL1800, then got the J&M's for our second one. We still have them with our third one too. What a difference the J&M's were. Much better for intercom, radio, & CB. The next step up, will be Edsets.;)

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
imported post

Idespair at the poor audio quality of the JMs

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
imported post

Brogees, I'm prostrate with grief at the price of them!

So far I'm happy getting whatI paid for. $78 seem okay for a headset. Hell for the price of some of the others I could get a newDavid Clark aviation headset.

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
imported post

Well I am happy with my DIYs and love the price. I have though managed in the testing process to accumulate a set of JM's as well from discarded bits and pieces of my ride groups. I also have been able to try the Chatters and the Edsets as well and while the Edsets are far superior to all the others, (Except one DIY with some really quality pro headsets), the Chatters were a good strong second place.

I taped an audio siggen signal sampling so I could get valid response comparisons, (Yeah I know Paul, but I am anal retentive!) and the JMs simply do not have the fidelity especially at the price.

The one problem with my DIYs has been durability of my connections and I am simply not going to pot my connectors, LOL!!! At least not until this winter when I am really bored!!

Also I my other engine finally got here and I am setting up to start the teardown.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
imported post

Yeah I know how it is, some years ago I would have built up a set, I didn't work as an electronic tech for nothing, but nowadays I'm getting lazy. I am quite satisfied with the Chatterbox, sound good with classical music, that's one thing you can't play on the speakers due the dynamic range needed. I was also surprised how little wind noise gets into the intercom, I expected more noise. So for less than $80, and I think that's a little high, I'm happy. Got to get another one now that I know they work. It would be nice to have a spare helmet, I don't like the things on the helmet when I don't plan using them but then it doesn't take all that long to put them on and off either, I do like that clip mounting.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.