Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I was wondering what could cause my 82 aspencade to chatter when taking off in 1st. If I rave up the engine and the let the clutch out it seems it reduce the chatter also traveling around 30 MPH and in 4th gear it chatters unless I down shift to 3rd were the RPM's are of course higher the no chatter. Any idea's?:?

Thanks,
Bailbob:waving:

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
imported post

got to have your revs up starting off also as speed decreases need to lower gear to keep rpms up, your moving a whole lotta bike and you to.:action:

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
imported post

Thanks thats kind of what I thought, but I wanted to be sure I was thinking right and not something I needed to address.

·
Premium Member
4,910 Posts
imported post

Just a thought or two...there must be a little freeplay (free lever movement that does not disengage the clutch, ~1/4") in the clutch lever when it is all the way out.

If you have that freeplay, and it still chatters, you might want to try a Seafoam treatment. Some folks seem to believe in that MMO (Marvel Mystery Oil). Either way, you dump it in the crankcase for the purpose of cleaning outgooey buildup. :waving:

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

Also what engine oil are you using?

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
imported post

Thanks, I use Castrol GTX 10w40 motor oil. I will try adding the sea foam to it and see if that helps the chattering on low RPM's

·
Premium Member
1,365 Posts
imported post

When was the last time carbs were synced?

·
Premium Member
1,103 Posts
imported post

Jim and Lee wrote:
Its normal.

Mine does the same thing.

You need to keep the RPM's up a bit.
:coollep:Have to agree with Jim and Lee on this one,

Mine has done it since I bought it 10 yrs. ago, a few more rr"s in low gear takes care of it, and when I'm down to 40-45 I'm in 3rd or 4th gear. Just my .02

Winger 82:11brown:

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
imported post

Thanks Winger 82 Thats what I have found out also, what a relief I at 1st thought something was wrong, I guess I will sleep well tonight knowing all is well!

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
imported post

Thanks Winger 82 Thats what I have found out also, what a relief I at 1st thought something was wrong, I guess I will sleep well tonight knowing all is well!

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
imported post

You might be running a little rich. When my bike was running rich it would chatter in first gear and lug at 2000-3000 rpm. Check if you have any black smoke coming out of your pipes. Also it can't hurt to make sure your carbs are synced properly. Of course I could be wrong but kind of sounds like my problem before. Hope everything turns out great!

·
Premium Member
1,653 Posts
imported post

When I first started to ride a wing, I found I had to give her a good amount of gas to aviod what I called the "Death Rattle". It improved greatly when I synched my carbs. I still get it if I get caught going too slow in too high a gear.

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
imported post

Now that I have my carbs synched and have given them several cleanouts I find I can take off at about 1500rpm without the death rattle. Prior to getting the carbs right 2000rpm plus was required.

·
Banned
1,204 Posts
imported post

I agree, Its normal. You just have to give her a few more RPM's at takeoff and be aware of your tach when you are riding up a steeper grade. This bike needs to be downshifted a lot to run optimally especially if you ride 2 up. As far as the carb synching stuff, if it runs good, just ride it. Try some seafoam though, put half a can into a full tank. It will make a difference.

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
imported post

Check you're plugs to.Had the same problem changed my plugs runs fine no rattle.Just an idea, my plugs looked fine.Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
1,581 Posts
imported post

VA.GENT wrote:
Check you're plugs to.Had the same problem changed my plugs runs fine no rattle.Just an idea, my plugs looked fine.Hope this helps.
carbs need syncing

mark:waving:

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
imported post

My 82 wing does the same thing if I dont give it enough gas during take off. I think its normal but it does sound terrible. It's a big bike.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.