Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

last feb. i bought a 87 1200I asking price 1,500 bought for 700. 32,000 miles spent two months doing service end to end along with $1,00.00. results have been a trouble free bike that runs perfect. very pleased with the results and total cost $1,700.00 these old bikes can be brought back to life. regards walkabout :)

·
Administrator
26,308 Posts
imported post

:claps: Pictures please, it didn't happen if you don't have pictures.

·
Premium Member
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

dave,i am sorry to say i have no way to take pictures. there is nothing remarkable about the bike it is a dark gray plain interstate 1987. thanks, walkabout :)

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

Sounds like you got a good deal. Only 32,000 miles (most Goldwings will go between 200,000 and 300,000 miles), and '87 was the best year for the 1200, plus you got an Interstate, which was the best model. No fuel injection problems, no rear wheel problems, way less electronics than my '85 LTD, I'd say you made out good.

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
imported post

Stories like this make me green with envy. I keep looking for my first, but mama says its gotta be a good deal (ie. Cheap) Glad to here you are loving the bike.

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
imported post

Falling into a good deal is great, but you still had to make the commitment to do the work.

Good job. :applause:

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
imported post

Something about finding a bike that needs work, getting it, and then doing the work. Nothing is more satisfying.

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
imported post

In 1989, Red and I bought a '81 1100 Interstate for $2495. It had 73,000 miles on it, and I told her we'd take one trip and then dump the thing.....

It ran for 160,000 more miles, and finally just stopped one day in 2001..... best $2495 I ever spent, bar none......

Attachments

·
Older and Wiser
1,734 Posts
imported post

That's 233,000 total miles Mel. That really is great service from a GL1100. They didn't make too many green ones either, I've only seen them in accessory brochures.

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
imported post

BenMC wrote:
That's 233,000 total miles Mel. That really is great service from a GL1100. They didn't make too many green ones either, I've only seen them in accessory brochures.
Well, it had a little help because I was an idiot, and timed it 180' out when I first put new belts on....bent all the valves in an instant! But we had a pretty good gearhead here, a former Honda mech and snowmobile racer, who rebuilt the heads after I had yanked them, and the thing ran like a scalded cat after I got it all back together......

Uhhhh, but it was black, not green.....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.