Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Ever since I bought the '83, she'd spin....slowly..in the morning on start up, but it would start. Anytime after a ride, you needed to wait at least 5-10 mins for the bike to cool down before attempting a restart. Even then, it sounded REALLY bad/slow.

After reading Tim's how-to, and finally being home for a few weeks, I summoned up the courage to pull mine & try the fix. First thing I noticed when I got down under the bike....this ain't a Honda Starter...should I even bother?

Long story short, I pulled it off (really easy, BTW...didn't have to remove anything other than the mounting bolts), disassembled as per Tim's guide, and yeah, that sucker was full of carbon dust, the commuter was carboned up...everything that Tim described.

The spacer washers are not in the Chinese starter, and a couple of other minor diff's, but all in all it's similar enough that by following the How To Forum threads guide, it cleaned up really well.

Reinstalled (surprisingly easy to do... just like Tim described), and wow...spins like new. Heck, after an hour ride tonight, it fired right back up with a push of the button. Several times. Wife thought I was nuts. Again, I think Tim nailed it...more amps available for the ignition cause the starters not sucking them all back.

Anyone with a lazy starter...highly recommend checking out the thread & doing the job. Many thanks to Tim!

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
imported post

Thank you!! :waving:

Now are we ever going to go for that coffee??

Tim.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

A brand new battery helps with clean connections too!! That's what I did today.

·
Premium Member
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Battery, yep...replaced mine last month & connections cleaned at the same time (kinda hoped that was the problem with the starter)

Tim.....I work a DJ gig this Saturday, but heck yeah, lets get some caffeine over the next few days. Be nice to talk to someone who remembers an 8080 processor!

Dave

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.